[Solved-ish] Restoring tt-rss from backup fails "password auth failed"

Problem Description

Disclaimer: Not asking for help here, the issue has been more or less resolved, already. Posting for future reference in case anyone (or my later self) comes looking.

Tl;dr:

• Hardware migration from raspi2 => raspi4, both running bookworm, all updates installed, both on FBX 23.6.2
    • raspi2 was installed from the official raspi FBX image and has been running fine for 4+ years
    • raspi4 was installed via apt on a vanilla bookworm setup, clean slate
  • Backups for tt-rss and other services were made using the system > backups app in plinth
  • Restoring tt-rss from backup fails (details below) but I was somehow able to salvage it
    • Error message is “FATAL: password authentication failed for user “ttrss”” when trying to access the app

Related threads are:

True for both instances mentioned above: “You are running Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) and FreedomBox version 23.6.2. FreedomBox is up to date.”

Steps to Reproduce

In my case:

1. Backup tt-rss on a FBX 23.6.2
  2. Restore this backup (selecting only tt-rss during the wizard) on a different, vanilla FBX 23.6.2
  3. During restoration, the tt-rss app will be installed, but setup fails with below error (see ‘actual’).

Expected Results

Successful restore of my tt-rss setup with feed subscriptions, settings, starred articles etc.

Actual results

During installation and setup of the tt-rss app this error occurs:

Detailed error message from `journalctl -xe`
Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: PHP Warning:  require_once(config.php): Failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/share/tt-rss/www/include/functions.php on line 40
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Failed opening required 'config.php' (include_path='/usr/share/tt-rss/www/include:.:/usr/share/php') in /usr/share/tt-rss/www/include/functions.php:40
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: Stack trace:
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: #0 /usr/share/tt-rss/www/include/autoload.php(2): require_once()
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: #1 /usr/share/tt-rss/www/update.php(10): require_once('...')
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]: #2 {main}
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox update.php[8788]:   thrown in /usr/share/tt-rss/www/include/functions.php on line 40
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox systemd[1]: tt-rss.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
    ░░ Subject: Unit process exited
    ░░ Defined-By: systemd
    ░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
    ░░ 
    ░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit tt-rss.service has exited.
    ░░ 
    ░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 255.
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox systemd[1]: tt-rss.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    ░░ Subject: Unit failed
    ░░ Defined-By: systemd
    ░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
    ░░ 
    ░░ The unit tt-rss.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox sudo[8637]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox /usr/bin/plinth[820]: # ttrss..enable_api_access(…) 
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox sudo[8792]:   plinth : PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/share/plinth/actions/actions ttrss enable_api_access --write-fd 18
    Jan 24 20:09:22 fbox sudo[8792]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=112)
    Jan 24 20:09:24 fbox /usr/share/plinth/actions/actions[8794]: Error executing action: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "ttrss"
                                                                  connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "ttrss"
                                                                  Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                                    File "/usr/share/plinth/actions/actions", line 92, in _call
                                                                      return_values = func(*arguments['args'], **arguments['kwargs'])
                                                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/ttrss/privileged.py", line 100, in enable_api_access
                                                                      connection = psycopg2.connect(database=database, user=user,
                                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/psycopg2/__init__.py", line 122, in connect
                                                                      conn = _connect(dsn, connection_factory=connection_factory, **kwasync)
                                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                  psycopg2.OperationalError: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "ttrss"
                                                                  connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "ttrss"
    Jan 24 20:09:24 fbox sudo[8792]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

Most salient details in this log excerpt:

• The error is happening during step /usr/share/plinth/actions/actions ttrss enable_api_access --write-fd 18
  • The error visible at the end is FATAL: password authentication failed for user "ttrss"
  • However the root cause seems to be (at the top of the log): PHP Warning: require_once(config.php): Failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/share/tt-rss/www/include/functions.php on line 40

Further analysis

I follow through the mentioned files and verified that the DB credentials had been set up correctly:

• The credentials are defined in /etc/dbconfig-common/tt-rss.conf.
  • From this source /etc/tt-rss/database.php is generated.
  • I verified I can log on to postgres using these credentials successfully:
$ psql -d ttrss -U ttrss -h localhost -p 5432 -W
Password: 
psql (15.5 (Debian 15.5-0+deb12u1))
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

ttrss=> 

File permissions for the config files are:

/etc/tt-rss $ ls -l
total 24
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       75 Nov 20  2022 apache.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      289 Nov 20  2022 avahi.service
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     6938 Jan 25 10:15 config.php
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  509 Jan 24 20:18 database.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       98 Nov 20  2022 lighttpd.conf

The folder /etc/tt-rss/ itself is 755, owned by root.

I am not 100% sure I am looking in the right place, though. The action enable_api_access that has been triggered from the setup procedure could well use different credentials to tweak settings in postgres’ meta schemas?

Anyway, the result was a broken installation of tt-rss with this interim state:

• plinth shows tt-rss as installed, however removing it is not possible anymore.
  • tt-rss is not working, resulting in “FATAL: password authentication failed for user “ttrss”” when trying to access it.

Salvaging the installation

I was able to get tt-rss up and running (albeit without restored data, just re-imported my OPML instead) with the following steps:

• Remove and purge tt-rss from the console: sudo apt remove --purge tt-rss
    • Made sure to also purge the DB schema and data completely when asked
  • Reinstall using apt instead of plinth: sudo apt install tt-rss, and during the installation do the following:
    • Set up a new, empty DB schema from the wizard
    • Set the canonical self URL (the full path for the tt-rss installation, e. g. “https://box.example.com/tt-rss/”)
    • Choose to auto-configure apache2 (as provided by FBX)
  • Afterwards I was able to access tt-rss throught the usual URL, however it defaults to its own login (default credentials are “admin” / “password”), so I went back to its config in /etc/tt-rss/config.php and changed define('PLUGINS', 'auth_internal, note'); to define('PLUGINS', 'auth_remote, note');
    • tt-rss automatically picked up SSO via plinth this way
  • Last step was to import my backed up OPML file with feed subscriptions and tweak my usual settings in the UI to my linking.

The result is:

• Plinth shows tt-rss to be installed. Link to tt-rss and SSO work as intended.
  • tt-rss itself is usable and has my feeds again
    • I’m fine with data loss here, it may be inconvenient but how often do I really come back to my starred entries…? *shrug

I am summarizing this here not as a support case, but as minutes of my fix, so hopefully it may help others if they ever encounter this issue.

Closing words: Aside from this minor nuisance, the whole backup/migrate/restore procedure went super smoothly and I am very grateful to everybody who has contributed to making it this stable. Moving gitweb, syncthing (settings only), samba etc. all went without any issues. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Axel

I don’t think you need to connect as the ttrss user. I always log in with my personal user account. You may need to add yourself to a tt-rss group in user administration.

When I use the web interface I log in as myself. When I use the mobile client app I also used my personal username.

joseph, thanks for your kind reply. That is what I do, and it works nicely.

The login issues I described are happening during the restoration process when some python script tries to set up the database schemas properly. As I said, I found a way around it, and am happily using tt-rss again. Thanks again!

I didn’t actually read the whole thing - I just saw the logging in as ttrss part :slight_smile: