I have installed the Nextcloud snap on my Freedombox, and added the offical “LDAP user and group backend” plug-in to Nextcloud.
I want to configure Nextcloud to use Freedombox’s built in LDAP server, however I need to know:
- the DN of the client user to bind with
- the base DN for users and groups
(Note, I don’t yet fully understand LDAP concepts like DNs.)
I’ve tried a few things but I’m basically guessing, and I can’t find any information searching - I’ve looked on this site or any other freedombox resources. However it looks like it should be simple to do if I know the right identifiers. See https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/16/admin_manual/configuration_user/user_auth_ldap.html
- Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtaining correct settings for this?
- Also: is Nextcloud likely to work acceptably with my hardware? (Initial experiments suggest it might.)
Steps to Reproduce
Labels starting with
$ indicate values you need to provide. Do not insert these labels literally!
$passwordis your admin user password
$random_portis an unused port for nextcloud to use for HTTP, which Freedombox will reverse-proxy (see https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/configuration_server/reverse_proxy_configuration.html)
$hostnameis the outwardly visible hostname your Freedombox uses.
- Log onto the freedombox terminal via ssh (with sudo)
sudo apt install snapd
sudo snap install nextcloud
sudo /snap/bin/nextcloud.manual-install admin $password
sudo snap set nextcloud ports.http=$random_port
sudo /snap/bin/nextcloud.occ config:system:set overwritehost --value="$hostname"
sudo /snap/bin/nextcloud.occ config:system:set overwritewebroot --value="/nextcloud"
- insert the following file in
/etc/apache2/conf-available/nextcloud-plinth_custom.conf, symlink it into the sibling directory
sudo service apache2 restart
<Location /nextcloud> ProxyPass http://localhost:$random_port/ ## Send the scheme from user's request to enable Transmission to ## redirect URLs, set cookies, set absolute URLs (if any) ## properly. RequestHeader set X-Forwarded-Proto 'https' env=HTTPS </Location>
I expect to see Nextcloud and Freedom box user authentication synchronised, such that I can manage them from both.
I cannot find LDAP settings which the Nextcloud plugin will accept and work with.
- FreedomBox version: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) and FreedomBox version 19.24
- Nextcloud version: v16.0.5
- Nextcloud LDAP backend plugin version: 1.6.0
- Hardware: Pioneer-FreedomBox-HSK, i.e. an A20-OLinuXino-LIME2
- How did you install FreedomBox?: I bought pre-installed hardware.