Could it be that the basic features of freedombox could be more complete, better tested and really proven to work reliably, and getting optimized in practice, if for example…
[x] The freedombox foundation would use an actual, self-hosted freedombox for all their communications?
[x] The freedombox foundation setup would only include a backup freedombox in a data center for additional reliability (as fallback), to have considerable load on the self-hosted instance.
[x] The freedombox developers, and supporters, would handle their communications based on a freedombox instances that follows debian’s “proposed updates and backports” repository, to still allow to withdraw updates in the rare case of a problem that slipped through the development tests?
I guess all users would need a couple of basic things to work well out of the (freedom)box, since a couple of years already:
- Email accounts (Apparently coming.)
- General communication server basics (Basic calendar and address book instances are available, but the much more practical, integrated Sogo frontend is only mentioned in the email issue, and missing.)
- Chat (XMPP has been there for long, but audio and video chat support is only coming.)
- Video conferencing (Something with low hardware requirements like Galene or Jami is missing.)
- Access-group control and serving of pictures (Zoph is coming, but not based on universal freedombox filesystem user groups.)
- Access-group control and serving of files (Using Nextcloud would not be based on universal freedombox filesystem user groups, and costs overhead, resources, and at least sidetrack the freedombox project. Alternative: FileStash (multi-protocol web-frontend, e.g. using its ssh backend support to access system user accounts with all available standard /home user and group permission features):
Idea: File Manager within FreedomBox - #5 by sunjam and
Free web-files "cloud" solutions? - #11 by NickA
- A simple and safe possibility to publish some HTML pages on the internet (Static site generator like Lektor for user websites.)