Cannot log in from home domain

for the past several days, i am unable to access freedombox through my home network domain. instead, i can only access it through the freedombox.rocks domain, using the same user and password. also, i get a captcha box and fill it out correctly to no avail. no captcha box is needed when i login through freedombox.rocks

is this an issue with the firefox security settings for my home domain? if so, what is the solution?

ssh works fine from the home domain.

Ive also had similar issues accessing from the local network. Figured I just wasnt configuring something correctly, possibly the mdns for windows? But even the samba share isnt visible :thinking:

I found out that there was a setting on the router so that the WiFi was isolated from Ethernet. I could connect when connected via Ethernet but not WiFi. All sorted now :smiley:

2 Likes

@tortuga’s problem sounds a bit different being unable to login after the login page comes up. The captcha comes up when several incorrect attempts are made to login and will not go away for that IP address until a successful login is done. So, that explains the behavior of captcha.

The real problem is not being able to login. One guess is that there are multiple FreedomBoxes at your home. The .local domains works by mdns protocol which does a broadcast and then the first respondor is picked up. If there are two FreedomBoxes then any of them could respond first. If this is the case, you could try changing the “hostname” for one of them to something different from ‘freedombox’. Then the local address becomes ‘something-new.local’.

1 Like

Thank you kindly Sunil,

I have attempted to login with the correct password, but the captcha continues to be displayed and I cannot login (from any computer in my home network).

I can log in fine from the freedombox.rocks domain using the same uname-password.

Thoughts?

@tortuga, do you have a second FreedomBox from your experiments also connected to the network?

Sunil,

I only have 1 box (Olimex).

Thanks!

still unable to login from home domain.

• Do you try to access it with http://freedombox.local or do you have a another local domain configured?
  • Can you access it through ssh?

i have another local domain.

i can access through ssh, but not through the web interface.

specifically - i get captcha, but it doesn’t seem to accept my password/captcha combo.

i can access through dyndns, but it is a lot slower to interface to plinth.

i have tried multiple browsers and the problem is reproducible.

Since ssh works for you I’d try looking at apache logs in /var/log/apache2/, both access.log and error.log.

Use cat, head, tail and grep commands. With sudo if your user doesn’t have the needed rights.

thank you kindly!

here is the output from access.log

“”"
2600:1700:d0c:8810:b0f4:3a39:7830:fe9a - - [12/Dec/2020:09:45:32 -0600] “POST /plinth/accounts/login/locked/ HTTP/1.1” 200 4400 “https://freedombox.XXX.XXX/plinth/accounts/login/locked/” “Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0”
2600:1700:d0c:8810:b0f4:3a39:7830:fe9a - - [12/Dec/2020:09:45:33 -0600] “GET /plinth/captcha/image/9f85f86969efe1c6541395ee1ef27d133a2adf79/ HTTP/1.1” 200 6851 “https://freedombox.XXX.XXX/plinth/accounts/login/locked/” “Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0”

“”"

There were no errors in /var/log/apache2/error.log

I just wanted to chime in that I am often - but not always - getting the following error message when trying to load freedombox.local:

Unable to connect 

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at freedombox.local.

The local IP address loads without problems, and both the onion site and freedombox.rocks domain work.

I only have one FreedomBox.

Maybe the problems occur when an IPv6 is used.

Could the problem be just a second IP (v6) for the same box?

Not sure how to determine this?

The key question is - how to unlock an account from plinth? Is that possible?

I think your log shows that the problem occurs when the freedombox is handling a request coming from an IPv6:

To verify, you could try to disable IPv6 at your computer as a workaround. But the problem seems to be with the freedombox.

interesting thank you…

how do i disable ipv6?

running q4os on my desktop (i.e. debian testing):

///
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P. --------------
,g$$P" “”“Y$$.”. OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid x86_64
,$$P’ $$$. Host: HP Z440 Workstation ',$$P ,ggs. $$b: Kernel: 5.9.0-4-amd64
d$$' ,$P"' . $$$ Uptime: 3 hours, 27 mins $$P d$' , $$P Packages: 2666 (dpkg) $$: $$. - ,d$$' Shell: bash 5.1.0 $$; Y$b._ _,d$P' Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080 Y$$. ."Y$$$$P"' DE: Plasma 5.19.5 $$b “-.__ WM: KWin
Y$$ WM Theme: air-oxygen Y$$. Theme: Mondrian [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
$$b. Icons: oxygen [Plasma], oxygen [GTK2/3] Y$$b. Terminal: konsole
"Y$b._ CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 (8) @ 3.600GHz “”” GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Memory: 3037MiB / 32035MiB
///

What did you try to disable IPv6? What did you find in the documentation of your OS? What did you think before posting?

Good afternoon,

I now cannot log in from either the home or remote domains using plinth.

It seems the problems relates to incorrect certificates; it also does not accept captchas properly.

Please see messages below- any way to reset the certificates and get my account out of the locked status (note - i can still ssh).

Dec 27 11:26:10 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[2107]: AXES: Repeated login failure by {user: '***xxxxx***', ip: '2600:1700:d0c:8810::45', user-agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0', path: '/accounts/login/locked/'}. Count = 10 of 3
Dec 27 11:26:10 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[2107]: AXES: locked out {user: '***xxxxx***', ip: '2600:1700:d0c:8810::45', user-agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:84.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/84.0', path: '/accounts/login/locked/'} after repeated login attempts.

Help would bae greatly appreciated :slight_smile: