Unable to Complete Setup

If you are asking for support for an issue, please include the following information at the top of your post:

  • Whether your FreedomBox is plugged into a router at home or not (if not, please specify how it is connected to the internet)

    • Plugged into a home router with an ethernet cable.
  • The month and year you bought your kit (feel free to omit if you want to preserve some privacy, but this could be helpful information)

    • April 2024.
  • The version of FreedomBox your are running (available by clicking on the “?” in the top menu → “About”)

    • I’m unable to access the version number, but it’s brand new.


I followed the provided setup instructions. I was able to access the web interface at freeedombox.local, and the device was updating.

Moments after the update though, I no longer had access to the web interface. Returning to the freedombox.local URL returns a “Server Not Found” message. I’ve confirmed that the server is on as evidenced by the green light inside the box. I use Firefox, and turned off https connection and my VPN while working on this, but still no success.

Per some of the posts on this site, I tried accessing FreedomBox using it’s IP address, which I’ve made static. It returns very quickly a message that the server is failing to respond, and timing out. I’ve testing the router connection to it, and it says “All activities supported.” So it’s neither the router nor the ethernet cable.

I couldn’t find anything in manual that might be helpful, and I’m at a loss as to what might be the cause and fix.

Any suggestions?

I assume you lost access to the web interface shortly after starting the update process, not after it had finished. The initial update during setup can take quite a while, during which the update progress screen may break more than once as the server process (not the physical server) stops and starts. You can hit refresh occasionally on your browser and should eventually see either the update progress screen again or an update completion message. Patience is key. Give it several hours. If that doesn’t seem to work, you could try powering off/on to try again and see if it picks up from wherever it left off.

Thank you for your reply.

It actually did finish updating, and I was even able to create an administrator account.

I can’t imagine what it heard to result in it deciding to keep me out after that. :sweat_smile: So I haven’t been able to do anything else, including installing apps.

Depending upon what version your FB is running, some of the updates can take a long time.

You could also just download a newer version of the software and install it to your micro SD card.

Hi DachaLife,

Thank you. I will reserve that as a last resort.

I’ve tried adding port forwarding, and told my VPN to make an exception for this connection. I’ve set my anti-malware to stop filtering/blocking freedombox.local and it’s IP address. I’ve already confirmed that my router is connected to FB. Even with the above, a trace route test to FB’s IP this morning failed. :slightly_frowning_face:

So I’m thinking it’s probably a blocked connected to FB somewhere that’s causing the issue, and not the FB installation. Later, I plan to connect FB to my monitor and keyboard, and try logging in that way.