[SOLVED] Can't add my preferred Matrix homeserver

Problem Description
(when trying to add my preferred Matrix homeserver i got an error.)

Steps to Reproduce

1. open https://app.element.io
  2. click on register
  3. press edit to change the home server
  4. after typing my home server gets below message

your homeserver is too old and doesn’t support the minimum api version required

Expected Results
(I expected to see a message confirming the settings were updated.)

Actual results
(I get an error with the following message:)

(your homeserver is too old and doesn’t support the minimum api version required.)

Screenshot

Information

• FreedomBox version: 22.5
  • Hardware: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS installed on Virtual machine
  • How did you install FreedomBox?: sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install freedombox

The error indicates your matrix server version is too old.
Can you output the version of matrix-synapse you are running?

FB ver 22 should be on Debian 11 so I’d think you were fine, as I’m running 11 as well.

thanks for replying

matrix-synapse version is (1.53.0-1)

I am on 1.78.0-1

So you appear fairly out of date

thanks timmy, but how to update it ??? there’s no update option using freedom box and i also run sudo apt and sudo apt upgrade and nothing

so, PLZ how to update it to the latest?

Why haven’t you updated your FreedomBox? Stable is currently on version 23.20. Maybe then, Matrix Synapse will upgrade to the latest version.

it keeps telling me that FreedomBox is up to date when running manual update

EDIT: Added running sudo apt list --upgradeable to check which packages can be updated.

Have you noticed anything unusual in the update logs?

Before going for more drastic measures, it’s worth digging into why your FreedomBox isn’t updating automatically. I suggest checking the logs in System > Software Update > Show recent update logs, or via Cockpit > Logs, for any clues.

If all else fails, you could try manually updating the sources list for apt. You can do this by running sudo apt edit-sources and changing every instance of bullseye to bookworm. After making these changes, run sudo apt update to refresh the package list. To specifically check for new packages available for upgrade, including the freedombox package, you should then run sudo apt list --upgradeable . This command will show you a list of all packages that have updates available. If updates are listed, you can proceed with sudo apt upgrade .

However, I’d recommend this approach only as a last resort and if you’re comfortable handling potential discrepancies this might cause.

i’m using Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS not debian

If you are using a computer with Ubuntu as well to connect to your server, you could use nheko from the Ubuntu repository as client, it should work fine with your version of matrix-synapse.

I am in Debian 11 and held myself back from the most recent updates (so I’m running 23.6.2 instead of 23.20). So I’m not sure if Ubuntu repos are behind or why you are not updated.

In addition to @fefekrzr 's advice, I’d point you to the manual - Ctrl-F and search for " 20. Software Updates"
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual

This section details how the updates work and methods of triggering a manual update.
Specifically - 20.3. Manual Updates from Terminal

MAKE BACKUPS!
Worst comes to worst, you can wipe and install latest, then restore from backups.

I’m looking at my box and seeing only 23.6.2 for upgradables… so something wonky for me as well. Will bounce back and double check the bookworm update thread and see if I spot something. Might apply to hafez as well.

SCRATCH LAST - Looks like some poking and prodding has gotten FB to see its behind the curve. See what happens now.

23.6.2 is the stable debian version if not using backports, so I guess you have stable without backports. The drawback of doing so is that you don’t have any functional update (you still have security updates) but the advantage is that your freedombox should be even more stable.

Backports can be activated in the freedombox interface (but I can’t remember where exactly). Once activated, there is no way to deactivate them (it could create problems), so you should think before activating backports.

If 23.6.2 provides the functionalities you need, keeping your system as it is may be a good idea, for better stability. The element webapp is a particular situation. In general, using a webapp hosted by a third party somehow defeats the benefit of self-hosting, so I would advise to use a client installed on your computer or phone. On GNU/Linux, I use nheko. On Android, I use Fluffychat. I prefer to avoid Element on GNU/Linux for several reasons.

This is essential indeed. I would only add: if you can (you have a spare microSD / virtual machine / Pioneer / whatever), practice restoration even before you actually need it.

1 Like

23.6.2 is the stable debian version if not using backports

toyed with it and think I’ll stay on 23.6.2 for now

The element webapp is a particular situation. In general, using a webapp hosted by a third party somehow defeats the benefit of self-hosting, so I would advise to use a client installed on your computer or phone.

I’d agree - I only use clients myself. Element works fine for linux for me, but I’m not stuck on 22.5 like hafez is. I’ve not used nheko or FluffyChat but maybe I might try them just to see how they are.

This is essential indeed. I would only add: if you can (you have a spare microSD / virtual machine / Pioneer / whatever), practice restoration even before you actually need it.

I’ve borked this freedombox so many times, its probably the most frequently restored thing on the network. Running even just a proxmox hypervisor with the freedombox in a VM is SO much easier than running it on bare metal.

I’d heartily recommend anyone who can lay hands on even a couple year old tower with a six or eight core CPU (pretty much everything comes with the needed virtualization) to nab Proxmox VE community version and migrate to using VMs over bare metal for stuff like FreedomBox.

I have been using freedombox on Pioneer for 2 years and restored it only once.

I have used virtual machines (using virt-manager) to test things but I have no clue what proxmox is and what it is useful for. Any explanation is welcome.

Maybe but I have no space for it and I can’t have air conditioning, so I don’t want an extra heat source in summer. Not to mention the extra power consumption.

I have been using freedombox on Pioneer for 2 years and restored it only once.

I am prone to experimentation… Like one day I tried federating. That didn’t work but it lock up the VM. restored a couple times just in that one day.

I have used virtual machines (using virt-manager) to test things but I have no clue what proxmox is and what it is useful for. Any explanation is welcome.

Probably the simplest hypervisor to use. Also free for the community edition. You can search jut about any question and find an answer. Very common for homelabs. I use two of the three - Proxmox Virtual Environment (standard hypervisor for VMs) and Proxmox Backup Server (which makes storing and managing backups on a separate machine easy).

Maybe but I have no space for it and I can’t have air conditioning, so I don’t want an extra heat source in summer. Not to mention the extra power consumption.

Yeah, my office runs a degree or two warmer than the rest of the house when the two regular servers are running. Add the ancient machine that runs the backup server and it gets warm.

My apologies for overlooking the details of your setup in your original post. It was late, and in my eagerness to assist, I missed that crucial information. Unfortunately, I don’t have experience with FreedomBox on Ubuntu, so I’m not familiar with the current state of their repositories. Sorry for any confusion my previous message might have caused.

1 Like

thanks Avron, i’ll try nheko instead of element

unfortunately, it did not work. but we have another error message “The selected server does not support a version of the Matrix protocol that this client understands (v1.1 to v1.5). You can’t register.”

I think that is essentially saying the same thing as your original error.

“API” and “Protocol” seem like they are both referring to the same functional component, the standards version by which the client and server communicate.