Silly Questions From A First Timer

I’m thinking of trying out Freedom Box but I have some questions first.

Reading on here I’ve just learned of pagekite.net, how secure and private is it? Is it better than opening ports on my router or creating a DMZ? What other ways are there to expose services to the WAN?

When you fist start Freedom Box, are any of the services already enabled? Will I have to turn anything off to make it more secure?

Reading on here I’ve just learned of pagekite.net, how secure and private is it? Is it better than opening ports on my router or creating a DMZ?

AFAIK it is a tunneling service so all traffic goes through them and you need to trust them.

What other ways are there to expose services to the WAN?

• Opening ports on my router or creating a DMZ
  • Using Tor to expose services
  • Perhaps I2P(eepsites)?
  • If by WAN you don’t mean the whole Internet, but a limited audience, then you can use OpenVPN or WireGuard for VPN.

The DNS can be owned (rented) over either static IP or dynamic.

When you fist start Freedom Box, are any of the services already enabled?

No.

Will I have to turn anything off to make it more secure?

That depends on your requirements. For usual personal privacy, not. Freedom activists fighting their dictators ought to go further.

Thanks for the reply!

If I do it that way will it be like the other devices are connected to my local network? I’m hoping to set up a way for my family to chat and share files but I don’t particularly want their Android devices to have more access to my network than is necessary!

And yes, I only require normal person privacy levels :slight_smile:

Zerotier works better for me. It is free for personal use (I think for up to 32 network nodes) and works on all major operating systems, some NAS boxes and some routers. I have T-Mobile residential internet (Nokia router), which is notoriously difficult for situations needing inbound connections from the WAN. Both Zerotier and Pagekite work for me, but Zerotier gives me more configuration flexibility.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at it!