Non technical user

It was really easy for the hardware part

List of things you liked

• the UI was ok and the help and explanations are always at hand.

*List of things that might be improved

A non technical user is easily confused by terms as domain name or IP address
Confusion between the router , the box and the machine accessing the server on the box.

It took me sometimes to install and access to Cockpit
but less to install Pagekite which is far more intimidating at first sight.

Maybe the more difficult for a non technical begginers is the security side for the router or the box.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

We are working to fully redo the experience of handling these. Unfortunately, we don’t have a proper way eliminate these terms from user’s view yet.

Pagekite is also due for some simplification.

I would not eliminate the terms for users. I think it is valuable to create tutorials and documentation explaining and helping users. I think the work you started there is very valuable.

As FredV mentioned:

In addition, it would be nice to do a little UI/UX research on FreedomBox. Maybe using the help of the non-profit Simply Secure. They gave a talk at FOSDEM 2020 regarding their work: Beyond the Pile of Knobs: Usability and Design for Privacy, Security, Safety & Consent.

3 Likes

I agree, the terminology is useful and should be kept there, but more information would be helpful on what to do, and how to work with them. A lot of my problems were a result of router configuration, and generally being unfamiliar with the networking side in general. I can find my way around the command line easily enough, and can program pretty well, but Printers and Networks are certainly my weakness.

Or the auto-configuration could be improved.

1. I have so far had issues with DMZ forwarding (recommended) due to what I assume is a CGNAT infrastructure used by the ISP. Took a while to figure this out through forum posts and web searches. This resulted in an issue with DynDNS via gnudip. See (Cannot successfully connect to dynamic DNS setup)
  2. I have had two issues with LetsEncrypt (Cannot access plinth) and (LetsEncrypt Name Mismatch Error)

As a semi-power user, I don’t mind these challenges, but the freedombox is certainly a long way still from being easy to use out the box like a cellphone.

1 Like