No more IPv4 address

Dear Freedombox team!

My Pioneer FreedomBox Home Server has been running since 2018, on an freedombox-testing-free_latest_a20-olinuxino-lime2-armhf.img . It is plugged into my home router, whose DHCP server is configured to only give out IPv4 addresses. I see the green light next to the network plug at the router, and blinking yellow and green lights next to the plug at the freedombox. I also checked the cable with a different device.

Three days ago the freedombox stopped being reachable via Pagekite and local IPv4 address. I used to see it (and its IPv4 address) in the client list of the router’s web interface, but it is now missing there. When I log in locally via HDMI monitor and USB keyboard, I see with “ip a” that the eth0 device has now only got a link-local IPv6 address (starting with fe80).

Restarting the router (to be sure), then the freedombox (and waiting for 10 minutes after each start) did not change the situation. What can I do?

My plan would now be to install a fresh image on another SD card and restore my last backup there, but I’d be happy if I could avoid this effort.

(This might be similar to the open question My router gave freedombox a DHCPv6 lease; I need a DHCPv4 lease. @rjfbx1 mentions “Foris” and “Luci” there - I don’t know what that is.)

Best regards, Robert

The image freedombox-testing-free_latest_a20-olinuxino-lime2-armhf.img of 2021-08-20 showed the same problem.

In the meantime I have noticed that both blinkenlights at the FreedomBox’s ethernet port both blinked somehow randomly. If I understand correctly, one of them should glow continuously. So I tried an USB-LAN-Adapter instead. With this, the connectivity is restored!

The upgrade log tells that a 5.10 kernel was installed (but no reboot happened) shortly before the problem appeared. Perhaps I’ll test a freedombox-stable-free_buster_a20-olinuxino-lime2-armhf.img (containing a 4.19 kernel). I wonder whether this would show the problem or not.

If you have Pioneer Edition hardware please use the images meant specifically for that hardware instead. They differ from the lime2 images by a small fix in u-boot to get Ethernet working. You can try the latest weekly images if you want bullseye.

More about the Ethernet problem on the wiki page.

Thank you, @sunil! I have now tried the suggested pioneer images (of 2019-07-19 and 2021-08-23) on another SD card. Unfortunately, I still get no Ethernet connection.

For now, my workaround is to use an USB-LAN-Adapter instead.

Next I will make a dd clone of my original card as backup, then try to rollback the system to a ‘storage snapshot’ that still has the old kernel. I wonder whether this will help.