I2P not available to install

Problem Description
When trying to install i2p, I get the message: “This application is currently not available in your distribution.”

NOTE: I do have backports set up and working correctly, but I2P is still not available.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Login to FreedomBox.
  2. Go to I2P application page.
  3. Click on the install button

Expected Results
Expect to be able to install, but button is greyed out.

Actual results
I get the message: “This application is currently not available in your distribution.”

Screenshot

Information

• FreedomBox version: You are running Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) and FreedomBox version 21.16.
  • Hardware: VMware esxi
  • How did you install FreedomBox?: Fresh install of Debian bullseye and ‘apt install freedombox’

The short answer is that the i2p package is currently not available in Debian bullseye (including backports), so FreedomBox can’t install it. I don’t know the history of its disappearance between buster and bullseye or the prospects of its popping up in bullseye-backports at some point.

1 Like

That’s really strange. So need to use buster and it will be available? Should I open an issue on the git?

This is not really a FreedomBox issue, but rather has to do with the state of i2p in Debian. Other packages have been dropped from a Debian version only to appear later on in backports. An example is matrix-synapse. See this discussion thread.