FreedomBox + Franklin T9 via USB?

I would like to purchase the Pioneer, but it would have to be connected to a Franklin T9 hotspot via USB, rather than Ethernet. Is that tenable, and what extra steps or hardware would be needed to ensure that the auto-setup successfully connects?

My advice would be to try it out on a GNU/Linux desktop computer that uses NetworkManager. Most of the modern Mobile hotspots appear as a ā€˜USB Ethernetā€™ device to a host computer. This is configured automatically by NetworkManager just like an Ethernet device by acquiring IP configuration using DHCP by default. FreedomBox/Pioneer would essentially do the same as they use NetworkManager.

Notes:

• I am not sure of the power requirements for the device when connected via the USB and whether Pioneer board can provide that much power. If this does not work, you may need to connect it via a powered USB hub.
  • If the device does not show up as an USB Ethernet device on the host machine, then make sure it is enabled in the hotspotā€™s configuration. See https://www.reddit.com/r/Calyx/comments/l470a9/comment/gzfxajr/

Thanks. Under Linux Mint, Network Manager lists a Qualcomm device, the toggle for which cuts the connection, so Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s it. (I imagine the only hiccup would be if Mint does this by including a driver that Debian does not.) As for the suggestions on Reddit, indeed thatā€™s a setting I had intended to set to USB-only, to disable extraneous Wi-Fi. Looks like Iā€™ll be placing my order, then! :slight_smile:

Well, I bought a Pioneer, put in the card, plugged my Franklin T10 hotspot into it via USB, powered up the Pioneer, powered up the Franklin, and then went off to watch an episode of Archie Bunkerā€™s Place. Came back, plugged my PC into the Pioneerā€™s Ethernet port, and found that my PCā€™s Linux Mint network manager tries but canā€™t establish a connection. No clue what is going on, or how I should have done things differently with my setup.

Unplugged the Franklin from the Pioneer and put it back on my PC, so as to get to the Internet and read the manual. Pioneerā€™s red light has been on near the power socket since startup, and its Ethernet lights flash when connected to the PC. Disabled my Mullvad VPN app, yanked the plug on the Pioneer, powered it and the Franklin on again; no change.

Perhaps I should also point out that I ordered it from Mouser, and, when removing it from the package, I found it to be very Hobbit-like ā€“ not just small, but with hairy feet. Makes me wonder whether I didnā€™t get somebodyā€™s return.

Hello! This might sounds obvious but some people miss it. Iā€™ll share just in case. The Pioneer has an internal battery. To power it off, pulling the cord will not suffice. Youā€™d need to open the device and disconnect the battery.

Regarding the rest of the issue. I have no idea, as Iā€™ve never tried that set up.

Indeed, but I never hooked up the battery. It was jangling around inside the case, its sizeable patch of glue all dried up and disconnected from the metal top. (I wonder whether the glue is sensitive to cold ā€“ or else, again, whether I may have been sold a returned item.)

I tried watching the boot sequence, but the ā€œpress any key to cancelā€ option refuses to accept keystrokes (and yes, my keyboard was plugged in, for the Pioneer responded just fine to Ctrl-Alt-Delete), so everything goes by too fast for me to decipher whatā€™s going on.

It boots into what I assume is the normal command line login screen, but, just like the wiki mentions, thereā€™s no way to sign in from there without going through all kinds of SD card gyrations to install a password ā€“ my lack of an SD card reader being one of the reasons I chose the ready-to-go Pioneer!

Network Manager repeatedly and continually fails to connect to the Pioneer via the Ethernet cable, bringing back error after error, every few seconds, completely disrupting my attempts to operate the menu, until I finally just unplug the cable to shut it up. Maybe Iā€™m doing that part wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that the Pioneer could be used directly that way, without the need for a router as a go-between.

So, I canā€™t connect to the Pioneer via Ethernet, I canā€™t log into the thing via keyboard, and Iā€™m hesitant to go to the local computer repair shop to ask somebody for help with the SD card password trick. Am I overlooking some obvious solution, or is this how things normally go in the FreedomBox world?

Looks like Iā€™m going to need a little hand holding. Whoever gets me through this, Iā€™ll buy him a pizza.

Is it possible to temporarily connect the FreedomBox to a router, (even one without internet access), to do the initial setup, and then set up the USB hotspot, and then finally remove the router?

Iā€™ll have to take it over to a computer shop to do so, but itā€™s worth a try. My main reason for not having tried such already is because I donā€™t know whether the setup process would in some way ā€œimprintā€ on his connection and therefore still be troublesome with mine.

Now, if that turns out not to solve the issue, and I go ahead with adding a password via the SD card trick (again, a trip to the computer shop), is that password something which can be reset back to its default blank state, later on?

Yes, the root user can delete another userā€™s password with the following command:

# passwd --delete username

1 Like