Content for microblogging social media

We currently have the following social media accounts for the FreedomBox Foundation.

Mastodon: FreedomBox (@freedomboxfndn@mastodon.social) - Mastodon
Twitter: https://twitter.com/@freedomboxfndn

There was a GNU Social account but it is no longer being used.

Currently most of the content being posted in the FreedomBox Foundation accounts is about our bi-weekly releases. The release announcements are too uniform to be interesting. They should instead talk about the most exciting things in the release from an end-user perspective.

I think the accounts can also talk about other exciting things going on in the community - like install fests, community deployments in universities and villages, highlights from progress calls etc.

The accounts can also highlight FreedomBox features in response to current events. For example, highlight the fact that FreedomBox has two good decentralized alternatives to WhatsApp - ejabberd and Matrix Synapse.

There is also a development focused Mastodon account FreedomBox Development Updates (@freedomboxdev@social.masto.host) - Mastodon

This account is currently posting a few technical announcements.

1 Like

I think the accounts can also talk about other exciting things going on in the community - like install fests, community deployments in universities and villages, highlights from progress calls etc.

The accounts can also highlight FreedomBox features in response to current events. For example, highlight the fact that FreedomBox has two good decentralized alternatives to WhatsApp - ejabberd and Matrix Synapse.

Both sound great! Perhaps content like this will increase boosts within the network.

Also, you could consider an official Freedombox Diaspora account as well (especially if there are still plans to include Diaspora in Freedombox)?

There used to be several videos about Freedombox on Peertube from the account freedombox@peertube.mastodon.host. Among them were talks about Freedombox in rural India and the history of Freedombox. However, none of the videos are accessible any more, and it appears peertube.mastodon.host is down. It may be a good idea to include videos (again) as part of the social media campaign, and with Peertube being part of the Fediverse it can easily communicate with Mastodon instances.

Maybe it’s worth having a diaspora* account too since there are 750k users on the network (maybe with a significant overlap of Fediverse users).

There are still plans to integrate diaspora* into FreedomBox. It’s mentioned in Apps almost ready for FreedomBox but not officially on the road map since we’re not sure when the Debian package will be ready. I’m in touch with the Debian developer leading the effort to package diaspora* and Gitlab (both are Ruby on Rails applications). We can have it in FreedomBox as soon as the Debian package is ready.

All the services hosted by mastodon.host seem to be down at the moment. They hosted one of the earliest PeerTube instances. We don’t have a backup of the video channel unfortunately (an unfinished task on my task list :zipper_mouth_face: ).

We should probably host an official PeerTube instance to distribute the videos, just like Blender Foundation did. There’s also a PeerTube instance hosted by Debian at https://peertube.debian.social where we can create an official FreedomBox channel. I personally prefer the former because of the 20 GB video quota limitation on public instances.