Apps almost ready for FreedomBox

The following are apps that are almost ready for integration into FreedomBox. We are mostly limited by contribution time we have available. The apps listed here are either already packaged for Debian or require little effort to finish packaging.

This is a call for community members to start contributing to FreedomBox app development and Debian packaging efforts.

CUPS

Print server software already available in Debian. Can be used instead of proprietary cloud print services. Printing over the Internet works with any printer connected to a FreedomBox device.

:ballot_box_with_check: Calibre Server

calibre-server can serve as a Kindle cloud replacement. People can read books from their Calibre library using a web browser on any device. Read locations are synced to the server.

:ballot_box_with_check: Email server

All required software is already available in Debian. We have a detailed task list on how to execute this in Salsa.

Sogo

Sogo is a groupware solution providing email, calendar and addressbook in a modern web interface. Already available in Debian. A good app to go with the email server.

:ballot_box_with_check: WordPress

WordPress is already packaged for Debian. Would be nice to package one of its ActivityPub plugins for Debian so that bloggers can publish their blogs to the Fediverse automatically and receive comments.

Epicyon

Epicyon is an ActivityPub server written in Python. All the required dependencies are already available in Debian. Just have to package the app itself and write a FreedomBox app for it.

mopidy/mpd

Music player daemon applications already available in Debian. Many compatible clients are available for desktop and web. These are for playing music through speakers attached to the FreedomBox device, not for streaming.

:ballot_box_with_check: Shaarli

Shaarli is a bookmarking application similar to delicious.

Done

Please join the effort in packaging Shaarli for Debian.
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Contribute/Packaging/Shaarli

Movim

XMPP-based social networking server. Already available in Debian. We have to first find out if the community is interested in using this.

Searx-admin

Packaging in progress by one of our community members, Fred Le Meur. Might be available in FreedomBox in the near future.

Cryptpad

See this thread to learn about the use case of CryptPad for FreedomBox. To contribute to Debian packaging, please refer to this dependency tracker page on the Debian Wiki.

:ballot_box_with_check: Kiwix

Kiwix was used in FreedomBox community deployments in Indian villages to serve offline Wikipedia and free ebooks. The package kiwix-tools is in Debian testing. The process of installing Kiwix and loading Zim files is in our WikiBook.

:ballot_box_with_check: Zoph

Zoph is a photo gallery app, already packaged in Debian. They recently added support for REMOTE_USER authentication and configuration using CLI.
Merge Request

Apps available in Debian Fast Track

Debian Fast Track is a repository that allows making “backports” of packages available to users of the stable distribution, if those packages cannot be maintained in testing and backported in the usual way.

Packages in Fast Track are not expected to transition to testing or stable releases. Packages transition directly from unstable or experimental to Fast Track. This is an independent source of packages for all intents and purposes.

Original proposal for Fast Track.

The following are packages available in buster-fasttrack

GitLab

GitLab is the git forge used by Debian Salsa. Gitlab 13.2.8 is available in unofficial fasttrack repo targeting buster as base distribution. (no open security issues).

diaspora*

diaspora* is a distributed federated social network which was previously available in FreedomBox stable (Debian 9 Stretch).
It is currently available in Fast Track through a personal repo but is expected to be available in the main repo soon.

For a list of all known potential apps for FreedomBox, please go to FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

A tutorial on how to make apps for FreedomBox is available on our Developer Documentation site

11 Likes

Great! I’m eager to use the Calibre Server.

1 Like

Oh wow! Look at all those self hosting goodies! All of these are great additions to FreedomBox. I absolutely love installing things I don’t know about and learning how to use them from the top down. Its hard to pick favorites but I’m really excited for Kiwix. The email server looks fun to set up too! I interested in researching Movim, Epicyon and WordPress. What time frame is “almost ready”? Don’t rush the masterpiece but, I could set a reminder on my phone to update my servers.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Adding Zoph, a photo organizer, to FreedomBox

Secure Scuttlebutt, Akaunting, Icecast, NextCloud, Pi-Hole for future plan would be great!

But for now I think an email server and Epicyon are very necessary.

Dont you think cockpit should be put on the fast track app, especially since THIS ISSUE has 2.4k views, and is probably the biggest issue in the entire OS, especially since it is on hardware officially endorsed by freedombox? Sorry to sound negative, but I’m just a bit blown away that this isn’t the primary focus for a device people are paying for. So it would be nice to see some help and development in the direction of fixing the existing apps, as opposed to adding new ones to a broken operating system.

Do you have a working Epicyon instance somewhere?
email, yes!
something like Jitsi Meet, no client apps, easy to use things, yes!

Working yes but only in my LAN. Epicyon requires a full domain.