My FreedomBox is only accessible as a Tor hidden service, therefore I am interested in running as many apps over Tor as possible.
Problem: I am unable to connect to ejabberd over Tor with Pidgin. Any assistance would be appreciated.
What I did:
In order to use XMPP, I had to set a domain name for my FreedomBox under System > Configure, e.g., EXAMPLE.freedombox.rocks, after which ejabberd is enabled and running. (Note that my ISP does not provide a public-facing IP address, so the domain name is set only so I can configure ejabberd.)
In the chat client Pidgin, I have followed this guide from riseup.net for using Pidgin with a Tor hidden service, but it did not work.
To sum up what I did.
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: my FBX username
- Domain: EXAMPLE.freedombox.rocks
- Resource: empty
- password: my FBX username password
- Connection Security: Require encryption
- Connect Port: 5222
- Connect Server: my FBX onion address
- File Transfer Proxies: empty
- Proxy type: tried both SOCKS 5 and Tor/Privacy (SOCKS5)
- Host: 127.0.0.1
- Port: tried both 9050 and 9150 with Tor Browser Bundle running
Pidgin says “Unable to connect”.
Anyone able to help?