Subject: Difference between Yunohost and FreedomBox for Server Hosting

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the difference between Yunohost and FreedomBox in terms of server hosting. I am a big fan of Debian and consider it to be the best alternative for me. However, I am currently using Yunohost. The issue I’m facing is the need to constantly rebuild my system due to errors or bugs that arise during updates. For example, when I tried to update Synapse for Matrix and encountered a PHP error, I had to revert to a previous version. This caused problems with Fail2Ban, and I attempted to revert the Jail.conf file to a point where it was functioning properly. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in the process because Fail2Ban is integrated into the Yunohost system. This has been quite frustrating for me as I cannot simply uninstall and reinstall Fail2Ban. Now, I’m encountering new errors during the update of Snappy, the email client.

Considering the time and effort I have invested in my current system, which includes not only WordPress but also Matrix, Mastodon, and other components, I am questioning if Yunohost is the right choice for me. I recently learned that FreedomBox can also run on a server, and I would appreciate a clear explanation and opinion regarding the differences between Yunohost and FreedomBox. Additionally, I would like to know if it is possible to implement my existing WordPress blocks in FreedomBox, as losing all my work would be quite disheartening.

Please keep in mind that I am not fluent in English and rely on translation tools. I hope that despite this, my message is understandable. To provide more context, I have included a link that further explains my situation. Thank you to all readers who can provide constructive insights and opinions on this matter.

Ich stehe voll auf Debian. Es gibt nichts Besseres für mich an Alternativen. Doch nutze ich bis dato noch Yunohost. Doch das ganze Zinnober alles neu aufsetzen zu müssen, weil ein Back wieder einmal in der Synapse für die Matrix vorhanden ist. Ich, eine Vorgängerversion, eingespielt habe, da wohl in php bei dem Update ein Fehler oder ein Bug erstellt wurde. Und das mittlerweile nicht der Erste ist. Ich habe daraufhin mein altes Update wieder eingespielt. Was jetzt als nächstes Fail2ban in Mitleidenschaft versetzt hat. Und ich versucht hatte, die Jail.conf auf einen Punkt zurückzuversetzen, wo er oder an dem Zeitpunkt, wo er lief zu versetzen. Leider habe ich wohl dabei einen großen Fehler gemacht, da Fail2Ban im Yunohost System implementiert ist. Was mir echt auf den Wecker geht. Denn sonst hätte ich Fail2Ban gelöscht und neu aufgespielt. Was eben nicht geht. Jetzt tauchen mehr neue Fehler auf beim Update von snapy also dem E-Mailclient. Und jetzt habe ich nach etlichen Anläufen mir selbst gesagt, ist das eigentlich das richtige System? da ich sehr viel Zeit und Mühe in mein system gesteckt habe, was auf einem richtigen Server läuft und nicht nur wp, sondern die Matrix Mastodon discuss beinhaltet und einige andere Dinge. Daher hier mal eine Frage in die Runde kann mir jemand hierzu konkreten Antworten geben. Und sind meine WP Blocks zu implementieren? Denn sonst wäre meine ganze Arbeit futsch. Ich habe von einem User das mitgeteilt bekommen, dass Freedombox auch auf einem Server laufen würde. Daher würde ich mich freuen über eine sehr klare Meinung und Erklärung dazu. Denn auf einem Pi will ich das System nicht am Laufen haben oder lassen, da es nicht mit meinen Projekten gehen würde. Hierbei ist zu beachten, dass ich der englischen Sprache nicht so mächtig bin und arbeite mit Übersetzern. Ich hoffe, es kann trotzdem jeder verstehen, worauf ich hinaus bin. Um das noch klarer darzulegen, hinterlasse ich einen Link, um das Ganze etwas genauer darzulegen. ich danke allen Lesern und die mir ein konstruktives Meinungsbild dazu abgeben können!

Unlike Yunohost, Freedombox only relies on Debian packages, so there are many apps provided by Yunohost but not by Freedombox, for instance Mastodon. Matrix is available but I understand that open registration currently does not work. WordPress is available but I don’t use it and I am unable to answer your question about it.

The only time I had issues with upgrades was when switching from Buster to Bullseye, so pretty rarely. That said, I restricted myself to use the web interface to configure things, precisely to avoid risk of issues and the need to spend more time for maintenance. That could be the benefit for you to migrate to Freedombox, if what it has is enough for you.

2 Likes

I wanted to set up me times a small server and with it me times try, like it runs the system and like that so is put on, whether I could set up beside the Freedombox like a forum discuss as an example. I do not know if that works. I will definitely look into it as I don’t think it’s a bad approach either and I’m so and so into Debian. Thank you for your perspective on the whole thing. I don’t know what you have tried in advance There are links to my work available, then you might understand it a bit better. Thanks for taking the time and reading this.

An update: Matrix Synapse public registrations works. It is recommend that tokens be used during registration and this feature has been implemented also.

2 Likes

I would like to know if it is possible to implement my existing WordPress blocks in FreedomBox, as losing all my work would be quite disheartening.

Take a look at these options described in this article: