[Solved] Tiny Tiny RSS, opening link via hotkey 'o' not working

Dear FB community.

Tl;dr

Tiny Tiny RSS hotkey ‘o’ for opening an article in a new browser tab stopped working, showing “NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI” as error. Here’s the fix.

Problem Description

Since the last major upgrade, my tt-rss installation had issues in the following scenario:

Steps to Reproduce

1. Login to FreedomBox.
  2. Go to Tiny Tiny RSS application page.
  3. Select an article entry from one of the subscribed feeds
  4. Press hotkey ‘o’ to open the entry in a new browser tab

Expected Results

I expect the article link to be opened in a new browser tab.

Actual results

A new browser tab with “about:blank” opens (I am using Firefox), but no article. The tt-rss tab shows an error popup with a message “NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI” and a stack-trace.

Information

• FreedomBox version: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) and FreedomBox version 21.10.
  • Hardware: RaspberryPi 2 Model B
  • How did you install FreedomBox?: Flashed from official Raspi image

Analysis

After some research I found this bug report with tt-rss:

Fix

Following their suggestions, I did the following:

• Logged into my FB via SSH using an administrative user
  • Edited /etc/tt-rss/config.php and set SELF_URL_PATH to my full installation URI, e. g . define('SELF_URL_PATH', 'https://box.example.com/tt-rss/');
  • Saved the file, then hard-reloaded the tt-rss tab in my browser

This fixed the issue, and I can open articles using the hotkey again. I hope this helps, if anybody else has the same problem.

Cheers,
Axel

4 Likes

Thanks for the report and the fix. I created an issue so that FreedomBox can properly set this value.

1 Like

This bug is still there, in my opinion.In my language this ‘line’ says something about TLS.
I run my FB in my network, without TLS … so why should I care about this line, but I face excatly this error.
I don’t know what it says in english, but can it be explained in a way it is understandable and also already
does suggest something like my IP-Address with the extension and a link to the forum here.
As it was very well explained from the OP - I understood the problem right away.

Thank you