[Solved] Primary Interface DNS Server Setting Changed

Solution: Correct mistake in IP4 DNS server field of network configuration for primary interface.

I had a failure starting on or about 8 October where:

1. Tiny Tiny RSS stopped working for my mobile client
  2. After a day or two dynamic DNS stopped working (could not resolve Freedombox hostname from internet)

Naturally this happened when I was travelling, so this morning I see the issue whereby the External interface IP4 DNS address was set to the internal shared interface private network IP address. I would be surprised if I had done that by mistake, so I’m not sure of the source of the issue. It is easily enough fixed, but I wonder if this was a bug in an update or an unplanned interaction with WireGuard client.

The DNS server entry of 192.168.144.1 is pointing to the Freedombox internal interface address. This should not be so. Before I left home I was using OpenDNS and the IP6 OpenDNS server entries remained as expected. Only the IP4 DNS setting changed.

The logged error I found begain on October 10 at about 12:00:00 PM (not sure which TZ we’re looking at here. My TZ is UTC-7.

/usr/bin/plinth
Failed to be update Dynamic DNS - [Errno -2] Name or service not known
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/dynamicdns/init.py”, line 203, in _update_dns_for_domain
result, ip_address = gnudip.update(domain[‘server’],
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/dynamicdns/gnudip.py”, line 27, in update
socket.connect((server, GNUDIP_PORT))
socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

This error is probably complaining that dynamic DNS could not find the gnudip server for lack of a good DNS resolver.