[SOLVED] Freedombox sharing

Installed freedombox on a Raspberry Pi 4B, for the purpose of setting up a personal cloud using freedombox sharing, it said to be a one click instal ?. I have insalled it, I have set up a normal user for it, I have set up shared folder within the Sharing app. I can log in via the web inteface with user, but there no folders showing, and I can see no way of making it work. Is there a setup guide for making Sharing work once it has been installed.

some screenshots:-

Hello AllanJD!

To better assist you, could you please provide additional details about the configuration you used when creating the share? The provided screenshot offers some insight, but more information would be beneficial for troubleshooting.

When accessing the share, are you utilizing the following URL format?:
https://[local IP or local domain or web domain]/share/[NAME_OF_SHARE]

Additionally, it’s crucial to verify that the path to the folder on the disk is accurate.

Hello Fefekrzr
I replied by email the same day, but it did not appear here.

Now you have shown me the format to use for the URL, I can now see my share, I must have missed this somehow in the docs.
Thank you very much.

Next question is, how do upload and download files from this share, there is no menu option, and I can see no way of using it as a personal cloud.

Regards
Allan

Hello Allan,

I’m happy to hear that you’ve successfully accessed the share online!

Let me clarify the functionality of the “Sharing” app, as it appears there might be some confusion. This application utilizes the Apache web server to make files saved on your chosen path accessible to individuals or groups you specify during the initial share configuration. You can share files with everyone via a Public access link or restrict access to users who must log in with their credentials.

To download files from the share, simply access them through your web browser, click on the file link, and it will initiate the download (or right-click on the link and select “Save link as”).

For uploading files, there are several methods available:

1. Utilize an SFTP client like FileZilla for a straightforward approach.
  2. Explore your File Manager’s capabilities if it supports SFTP.
  3. Direct the share to a folder accessible via Samba and use a Samba client or Samba-compatible File Manager for uploads.
  4. Combine the Share with Syncthing, establishing a synced folder. However, this might entail additional configuration on the Syncthing side concerning folder permissions.

Personally, I find it convenient to have a dedicated folder for this app and upload files using SFTP.

I hope this information proves helpful. If you require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thank you, that all makes sense, but not what I was expecting. I am now playing with “bepasty”, this is what I am looking for, an easy to web browser based files sharing with easy up/download.
All the best.
Allan

That’s great to hear that you’ve found a service that aligns with your requirements. FreedomBox indeed offers various options, making it versatile to cater to different needs. The concept of a “personal cloud” can be interpreted in various ways, and FreedomBox provides solutions for diverse scenarios.

Regarding Bepasty, it’s more akin to a pastebin service rather than traditional cloud storage. Bepasty excels in facilitating temporary shares and offers fine-grained control over access permissions through password protection. This flexibility makes it an excellent choice for specific use cases.

On the other hand, the “Sharing” app appears better suited for long-term or larger shares. For instance, in my situation, I use it to host family videos, ensuring that everyone in my family who has access to the shares can download high-quality, uncompressed versions. The advantage here is that there’s no need to constantly distribute new passwords, as access can be managed through their FreedomBox login credentials.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to sync files across multiple devices, similar to services like Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox, I would recommend exploring Syncthing. It provides a robust solution for file synchronization across devices, which can be particularly useful for keeping your data up to date across various platforms.

I hope this information proves helpful, and if you have any further questions or need additional guidance, please feel free to ask.

By the way, if you feel that your issue has been satisfactorily resolved with the information provided, it’s a great practice to update the title of your forum post. Simply prepend “[SOLVED]” to the title. This small change can help others quickly identify that a solution has been found, making the forum more organized and assisting users with similar questions in the future.

[SOLVED]

Installed freedombox on a Raspberry Pi 4B, for the purpose of setting up a personal cloud using freedombox sharing, it said to be a one click instal ?. I have insalled it, I have set up a normal user for it, I have set up shared folder within the Sharing app. I can log in via the web inteface with user, but there no folders showing, and I can see no way of making it work. Is there a setup guide for making Sharing work once it has been installed.

some screenshots:-

[/quote]

BTW, could not a way of prepending [SOLVED] to the Title.

No worries. Maybe the topic is too old to edit. Thanks for trying!