[Solved] Debian update settings

I have been working on setting up a freedombox server on a pc running debian on my local lan. I see that Freedombox 24.7 has been released. I understand that it may be waiting for updates of some packages it depends on before it turns up in my updates. However,

Using Plinth, and going to software update produces this message:

You are running Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid and FreedomBox version 24.4. There is a new FreedomBox version available. Your Freedombox needs an update!

Since there are several updates that have not made it into my server, I have doubts about whether I have things set up properly.

/etc/apt/sources.list says only:

deb Index of /debian unstable main non-free-firmware

(sorry, not sure how to get the forum to display that Index link correctly. It shows an http link in the file not Index . . .)

Everything else in that file is commented out.

Using the terminal from cockpit I ran cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_CODENAME=trixie
ID=debian
HOME_URL=“https://www.debian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“Debian -- User Support
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.debian.org/

Using the terminal that cockpit provides, after apt-get upgrade it said

The following packages have been kept back:
freedombox python3-radicale radicale

I gave it ~$ uname -a
Linux FBoxDebian 6.7.9-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.7.9-2 (2024-03-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I also gave it ~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid
Release: n/a
Codename: trixie

In Plinth, when I go to Software updates and choose Run Diagnositcs, all of the results are green passed.

In the same area I asked it to show recent update logs and it gave me this:

==> unattended-upgrades.log
2024-04-01 02:43:13,684 INFO Starting unattended upgrades script
2024-04-01 02:43:13,684 INFO Allowed origins are: origin=Debian,codename=trixie,label=Debian, origin=Debian,codename=trixie,label=Debian-Security, origin=Debian,codename=trixie-security,label=Debian-Security, o=Debian Backports,n=trixie-backports,l=Debian Backports
2024-04-01 02:43:13,684 INFO Initial blacklist:
2024-04-01 02:43:13,684 INFO Initial whitelist (not strict):
2024-04-01 02:43:14,329 INFO No packages found that can be upgraded unattended and no pending auto-removals

So, it looks like neither auto updates nor my apt-get update in the terminal are keeping it up to date. I am a long term novice in such things and would welcome any advice or recommendations offered.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @KenW

Your kept back packages seem to be why your system isnt upto date.

Have you had a look at Manual Updates from Terminal section of the FBX manual? I’d suggest trying the terminal steps there if not already done so.

Your sources indicate you’re on Debian unstable (Sid). Was that a conscious decision?

1 Like

I intended to move from stable to testing but ended up there. Will it break things if I go to testing? How do I do that?

I have read a lot of stuff, but didn’t come across that. I am now up to date. Thanks!

1 Like

Moving back is not recommended. Although technically it is possible, you really have know what youre doing.

Personally, for a server under production id stay away from sid. i prefer the stable release with backports enabled.

if you want to go back to stable, a fresh install is the way id go.

good luck.

1 Like