Samba shares and backups

Hi!,

I’m a newcomer to FreedomBox. I first learned about this project a couple of weeks ago, when browsing the topics of Debconf '21. I must say that I’m impressed of the result so far, so thank you! I also believe that this initiative has a lot of potential.

Moving into practical issues, I deployed a FreedomBox instance in my local network, and started to play arround with it, with a focus on backups and file sharing, which are my personal priorities. Everything seemed solid, but I noticed that Samba shares are not covered by the “Backups” module [1].

I wonder whether there are plans to cover Samba shares backups in the future, and if there is any known particular issue.

Thanks in advance,

Guillermo

[1] FreedomBox/Manual/Backups - Debian Wiki

1 Like

From the code it looks like backup/restore for Samba (registry share configuration) has been supported since FreedomBox 19.22, and the manual page has just been slow to catch up. I haven’t actually tried it myself, though.

1 Like

I believe we currently support only configuration backup/restore for Samba. Backup/restore of folders shared with Samba is definitely a good to have.

We have planned to implement backup/restore of arbitrary folders on FreedomBox for sure. Then doing this for Samba folders automatically would be even better.

Thanks for the pointer @sunil . Indeed, having the ability to backup any directory in the FreedomBox installation would cover this topic’s use case.
@lifeform, I’ve setup backups for all the applications in my installations, and Samba shares are not included.
I’ll keep an eye on backup: Implement ability to backup abitrary folders (#1812) · Issues · FreedomBox / FreedomBox · GitLab.

Sorry for bumping this 2.5 year-old thread. Apparently there was no activity on this issue.

A Pioneer running on an SD card might not have so much disk space of samba, but with an external disk, samba is perfectly usable and automatic backups of data would be extremely useful.

Was this considered lower priority so far? Or are there issues?