Reinstall: Let's Encrypt error message

Problem Description
I did a re-install of my freedom box as it got stuck on version 21.4.4. and issues showed up with syncing Radicale before the re-install. After the re-install, I did a restore from the most recent backup. The one error showing up is that I can’t get Let’s Encrypt to co-operate, which it did before the re-install.

The certificate status shows “Valid”, the Website security though shows “Disabled”. Doing a re-obtain results in the following error

"Failed to obtain certificate for domain notmyrealdomain.com: Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None Missing command line flag or config entry for this setting: Please choose an account Choices: [‘freedombox@2020-09-07T13:18:44Z (abb8)’, ‘freedombox@2019-12-04T15:30:01Z (2133)’]

• The port forwarding settings have not changed (80, 443, 8448, 22000).
  • The name services settings are as before (Domain Name, Dynamic Domain name, Local Network Domain = notmyrealdomain.com, notmyrealdomain.com, freedombox.local)
  • Dynamic DNS Client is setup and running, showing DNS client is uptodate.
  • When running diagnostics only Let’s Encrypt fails and dnssec.

Of course, now when trying to access my freedom box domain, I get a privacy warning and can not access apps/services like Radicale and Syncthing.

What am I missing here?

Is there supposed to be more than one account? That message makes me wonder if there was an entry for your certificate stored in the backup that doesn’t match what the Certbot is expecting.

Do those dates listed have any significance for you?

What is the output of the log it mentioned (/var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log)?

Your reply about the two accounts triggered me to do the backup restore differently:

1. Clean install
  2. Let’s Encrypt setup, with same domain setup as before
  3. Backup restore of all apps/data without Let’s Encrypt data

This solved the issues. Freedombox is now up to date and I can install bug fixes via the Cockpit. Radicale syncs work. One thing to be aware of is that the installed Syncthing version is very old and needs to be updated after installation. This does not get done automatically when updates are fetched after a clean install.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and trigger me to take a different approach. Much appreciated!

1 Like