Raspi 4 b 8GB with a special image?

I was so happy… finally a working Debian bullseye on a Rasp 4b 8 GB. Without separate UEFI boot on an extra device. The full number of Ram, working wifi etc… freedombox installed and experimented. At some point I noticed that the page from which I downloaded the image is not a Debian project at all (Daily auto-built images)
This site looks very official as if it belongs to Debian. I don’t trust this raspi box anymore for further experiments… Do anyone have experience with this site?

1 Like

gwolf@debian.org is a Debian developer. For some reasons these RasPI images are unofficial but I’d have no security nightmares because of that.

Thanks for your reply yeti! I don’t want to underestimate the work of Gunnar Wolf as a developer. Presumably the images do not comply with the Debian standard. I have problems with the official Freedombox for all_arm64 images. But I don’t want to do without the security of official Freedombox images. I will try my luck with these again

No problem, everything is clearly stated as “unofficial”.
I used the latest Debian 11 image and got Freedombox installed by a simple apt install freedombox command

I was wondering if I’m the only one…apparently not. Yes, there are issues with the images, no doubt about that. The stable version for both FreedomBox and LIME 2 (I own both) is the same. My recommendation is to always choose More download options and use the latest images on there.

This is fantastic news. We were also discussing the idea of FreedomBox images specific for Raspberry Pi 4B. Good to see Debian’s images. I suppose this is an unofficial image essentially because of the proprietary boot code needed by all the Raspberry Pis. Other than this, I would guess that the kernel and rest of the user space is just standard Debian packages.

I expect no issues with using FreedomBox on these images. Please report any issues you face so I can investigate.

1 Like