I think there should be a prioritization of certain applications on Freedombox over other applications.
Pick an app like Synapse (matrix) and make it the “killer app” of Freedombox. Then advertise freedombox as simply the easiest way to have a free/open personal communication platform (even easier than setting it up on digital ocean).
Or pick an app like Photoprism and make it the google photos killer, for example.
I know that this is an open source project and thus people are just gonna work on whatever they feel like. But I don’t see a use for 80% of the software on freedombox. And the software that I would use on a daily (or hourly basis) receives minimal support.
Freedombox is a jack of all trades, master of none.
Pick a small number of use cases that affect normal people on a daily basis (intelligent photo management, messaging with friends, etc) and focus all efforts to make those particular use cases “best in class” experiences.
- assess most common use cases
- determine if use cases are already covered
- if they are, determine how to improve them (use better apps, improve install experience, add plugins, etc)
- if they aren’t, identify good apps to cover them
- possibly partner with app development teams to help each other out mutually
- focus Freedombox marketing around a tool that covers your daily use cases and does it well