Firstly, thanks to everyone behind this project. It is a very convenient way of “self-hosting” many services necessary for daily digital life while preserving privacy.
I was running my Freedombox instance for many years until I managed to damage it to the point of no return Fortunatelly, I had backups (via custom Duplicity script). Unfortunately, my approach to restoring them was quite crude. I reinstalled the system (clean installation of Freedombox) then selectively copied files from the backup into the fresh system - mostly from /etc and /home folders. This lead to all sorts of issues with permissions and inconsistencies between the installed packages and the file system, but I brute-forced my way to more-or-less working system.
One issue remained, however: Plinth (and therefore the rest of the Freedombox) fails to auto-start after reboot. Systemctl status page prints:
(code=exited, status=2) (complete output below).
Manually starting plinth as root, using either:
/usr/bin/plinth > /var/log/plinth.log 2> /var/log/plinth-error.logor
sudo -H -u plinth bash -c 'plinth'
works as expected and produces no errors (just one warning:
WARNING django.security.csrf Forbidden (CSRF token missing or incorrect.): /plinth/accounts/sso/login/).
Steps to Reproduce
- Reboot the system
- Try to open the web interface
Web interface available.
Web interface not available. After ssh-ing in and checking the status of the service, error below.
- FreedomBox version: 23.6.2
- Hardware: Physical server, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
- How did you install FreedomBox?: ‘apt install freedombox’ and then above-described backup restoration process.
Systemctl status output:
● plinth.service - FreedomBox Service (Plinth) Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/plinth.service; enabled; preset: enabled) Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-09-12 10:07:46 CEST; 684ms ago Docs: man:plinth(1) Process: 129421 ExecStart=/usr/bin/plinth > /var/log/plinth.log 2> /var/log/plinth-error.log (code=exited, status=2) Main PID: 129421 (code=exited, status=2) CPU: 399ms
/etc/systemd/system/plinth.service has following contents:
# SPDX-License-Identifier: AGPL-3.0-or-later [Unit] Description=FreedomBox Service (Plinth) Documentation=man:plinth(1) After=network.target StartLimitIntervalSec=0 [Service] ExecStart=/usr/bin/plinth > /var/log/plinth.log 2> /var/log/plinth-error.log Restart=on-failure RestartSec=5 ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID User=plinth Group=plinth StandardOutput=null StandardError=null [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target