Please wait for FreedomBox to finish installation. You can start using your FreedomBox once it is done

I set up freedombox yesterday and had no problems with it (deb 10 server on DO). I installed a few apps and they all worked fine. Today when I try to access the dash I just get the below message:

Please wait for FreedomBox to finish installation. You can start using your FreedomBox once it is done.

and the page refreshes every 10 seconds or so. I can still ssh into the server so I ran sudo journalctl -u plinth to look for errors and got:

Apr 14 13:44:49 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Running module setup - users
Apr 14 13:44:50 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Error running setup - nscd
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/setup.py", line 76, in run
                                                       self.module.setup(self, old_version=current_version)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/users/__init__.py", line 96, in setup
                                                       helper.install(managed_packages)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/setup.py", line 99, in install
                                                       raise PackageNotInstalledError(package_name)
                                                   plinth.errors.PackageNotInstalledError: nscd
Apr 14 13:44:50 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Error running setup - nscd
Apr 14 13:44:50 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Unable to complete setup: nscd
Apr 14 13:44:50 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Will try again in 10 seconds
Apr 14 13:45:00 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Running first setup.
Apr 14 13:45:00 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Running setup for modules, essential - True, selected modules - None
Apr 14 13:45:00 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Running module setup - users
Apr 14 13:45:00 freedombox /usr/bin/plinth[30388]: Error running setup - nscd
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/setup.py", line 76, in run
                                                       self.module.setup(self, old_version=current_version)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/users/__init__.py", line 96, in setup
                                                       helper.install(managed_packages)

repeating over and over. Any idea how I can fix this?

What happens if you install the “nscd” package?

This package is a dependency of freedombox, so I’m not sure how it could have been removed.

Thanks for the response. That didn’t seem to work so I ended up just destroying the droplet and starting fresh. Lucky it doesn’t seem to be an issue with this install.

After a few days this issue popped back up. I was able to solve it by running the following as root
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install nscd
reboot

After it finished restarting, I was able to log in as normal and noticed now I have access to the cockpit app, which wasn’t there before.

1 Like