Photo and video files storage

Hello everyone!
I’m looking to back up my photo and video files. Can I stash them in FreedomBox, and if so, how do I go about doing it?
Appreciate any help!

Hello Kate,

Your choice for backing up (and sharing, depending on your needs) photos and videos on FreedomBox can be streamlined into two main categories:

For Backing Up:

• SFTP: If you have SSH set up, SFTP is a straightforward and secure option. You can easily use your File Manager configured for SFTP or a dedicated client like Filezilla to transfer files to your backup location.
  • Samba: Great for creating a network drive that you can access from any device in your network, making it a versatile backup option.
  • Syncthing: Perfect for keeping files synchronized across multiple devices. It automatically updates changes across all synced folders.

If you also need to make the files accessible to others:

• Samba: Not only useful for backing up, but also ideal for sharing files within your local network or VPN.
  • Syncthing: Offers real-time syncing and sharing capabilities across various devices, ensuring that your files are always up-to-date.
  • Sharing App: Utilizes the Apache web server to share your files over the internet. This is a good choice if you need to make files accessible online.

Each method has its own strengths, so consider what fits best with your usage pattern, whether it’s just backing up or also sharing your files. Personally, I combine some of these methods in my workflow. Since, I don’t need syncing between devices, I usually upload the files using SFTP or Samba. If I need to share large files, like videos, with my family who are abroad, I use the Sharing app.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I really like the option that allows access from different devices. I think this choice is a good fit for me.
Thank you for your reply! You have helped me a lot!

1 Like