Outdated wireguard version freedombox

I noticed that the wireguard version is quite some versions behind. According to wg --version, the version on the freedombox is wireguard-tools v1.0.20210223. According to the documentation, this version is 25 months behind.

I am wondering if this a big problem (from a security standpoint). From a functionality viewpoint is it just working fine.

Information

• FreedomBox version: FreedomBox version 23.5.
  • Hardware: RaspberryPi 4, 4GB RAM
1 Like

On wireguard - Debian Package Tracker you can see the version of the package in each Debian distribution:

Note that the latest upstream release is v1.0.20210914 from 18 months ago. v1.0.20210223 is only 7 months older than it.

Anyway, this is how stable works, the version numbers don’t change much. When Debian bookworm is released later this year (bookworm Freeze Timeline and Policy), then the current “testing” will become the new “stable”.

1 Like

Thank your for the information. I wasn’t aware of this. Did wireguard also receive security updates (or was that not needed?)

Note that the wireguard-tools package only contains a tool for configuring wireguard. Actually wireguard itself is part of the Linux kernel, which gets updated more often.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the clearification