OpenVPN and IPv6 traffic

I have two Pioneer boxes, one with the WAN interface in the external zone, another one in the internal zone.

On my laptop, if I connect to internet via the cellular network:

• when I connect to openvpn on my Pioneer with the WAN configured as internal: I can access anything with the web browser. If I stop openvpn, deactivate IPv6 on my PC (Trisquel GNU/Linux), start the connection again and connect to openvpn again, this time I cannot access anything on the web browser.

• when I connect to openvpn on my Pioneer with the WAN configured as external (this time IPv6 not deactivated on my PC): I can access anything with the web browser, which is expected. If I go to web sites that show you IP address, I sometimes get an IPv6 address which is the address in the cellular network, not an address of my Pioneer, and sometimes even the IPv4 of the cellular network, as if I would not be using openvpn at all. If I deactivate IPv6 (to make this effective, I need to disconnect from openvpn and stop network completely, then start it again), this time the public IPv4 address of the Pioneer is displayed always.

Does it mean that IPv6 traffic never goes via the Pioneer? Is there a way to change that (apart from deactivating IPv6 completely)?

1 Like