My Pioneer Freedombox is Bricked

Today my Pioneer Freedombox is inaccessible. Trying to SSH to the device gives:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.101 port 22: No route to host

I have rebooted the device via the hardware buttons and the lights look okay.

The device shows in my router’s UI:

DHCP Clients List

ID Client Name MAC Address Assigned IP Lease Time
--- --- --- --- ---
1 pjar 02-C4-08-01-39-C3 192.168.0.101 Permanent

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to fix this?

The A20-OLinuXino-Lime2 can’t be bricked, as far as I know. You can always remove the SD card and a insert a fresh one with latest Pioneer image and it will come back fresh from any state.

But first thing to try is to reboot the machine. However, simply removing the power plug and re-inserting will not work. Since the Pioneer has a battery, you will need to unplug the battery or use the power button to reboot properly.

If that does not work, insert the SD card into a PC and examine the logs in /var/log/syslog file. It is likely that you have btrfs snapshots of the earlier working state (automatically taken hourly, daily, monthly etc. and not each package install), set the filesystem to boot from an older snapshot. Insert back the SD card and boot. (will give you details instructions if necessary).

In the unlikely worst case, prepare a fresh SD card with Pioneer image and manually restore the data from the old one.

1 Like

Typically, SDCards are not very durable, and the current SDCard images unfortunately contribute to let the SDCard hardware fail after a (too short) time-span (i.e. bit errors or switches itself to read-only).

The new bullseye support for F2FS may allow to improve the SDCard usage time.
An option to move the system onto a HDD/SSD should also help for sure.

Got same situation after trying to install an app. Second time different app.

Is it possible to open a console in the machine? otherwise I’ll check if I can open kind of a console access.

Something else, what would be the key logs to evaluate the problem?

Hi @3c97

thanks but none of the items apply

1 Like

@3c97, you could be facing an issue with the SD card. You can open a console to the machine in multiple ways:

• Use Cockpit’s web interface or
  • SSH into the machine. Only user accounts in the “admin” group will work.

The most important logs will be system logs that can be collected with journalctl (follow with journalctl -f). See that there are no problems related to reading the SD card.

Still investigating … bit slow, what happened was not that it went dark, it turns out that the avahi-daemon decided to change to freedombox-2.local after the install, looks like the problem is not related to sd corruption, just avahi-daemon conflicting with another avahi-daemon running.

Jan 23 20:20:30 freedombox avahi-daemon[16539]: *** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is

interesting enough, I don’t see freedombox.local advertised, but if I try to ping it resolves to 127.0.0.1 (and I suspect that is why it goes to freedombox-2.local)

Trying to find out why that happened.

Well, found my problem, when installing calibre it contains also an mdns then it conflicts with the avahi-daemon and force change avahi-daemon to use freedombox-2.local.

After the uninstall/disable calibre and restarting avahi-daemon I could see how the advertise for freedombox.local started again via avahi-browser

Did the same happen installing a different app? Which one?

Sorry fioddor, forgot which one I installed first. But I recall I had to remove everything to restart. This second time I took my time and I had it under control.
What I see is that at least Calibre gets into conflict with mdns and forces to advertise a second dns for the freedombox, that can lead to think that is broken.