Munin use case (long term monitoring)

Why I wish long term RRDtool graphs ?

Munin is a app I’d like to see in future because :slight_smile:

• I learned myself in the past with MRTG, Cacti, serverstats and now with Munin. All based on RRDtool solution.

• I agree with :

It makes it easy to determine “what’s different today” when a performance problem crops up. It makes it easy to see how you’re doing capacity-wise on any resources.

• I have not any experience with collectd but it may be a good other answer.

Some exemples

Watching time that is going on ; Monitor the passage of time :sunglasses:

First try with FreedomBox (2016)

2016fév_mi-juin_DiscontinuitéS

More details here in french.

Abnormal event(s) on a shared Debian server with weak IT team :wink:

• something happen
    013alerter_cpu-year
  • things going well again
    014çaVaMieux_cpu-month

I try Vagrant to learn to hack (and mumble-UI for distance teachings)

with my own low weight notebook

Ending

I would like to work on adding this app on FreedomBox myself as a beginner. Also let me know if things could oppose to that wish.

1 Like

@fred1m, Glad to know that you are planning to work on this app. I see no objections to adding this app as long as there is at least one developer willing to maintain it.

Before you start, one consideration though: inspired your post, I began looking what other ways are available to provide this performance data. I found out about Cockpit’s integration of Performance Co-Pilot project.

This approach has following properties:

• Seems to provide the basic necessary monitoring by default (CPU, memory, disk and network).
  • Integrated into FreedomBox’s choice of web administrator tool, that is, Cockpit.
  • Live updates of data.
  • Has historic value storage.
  • Very easy to setup. I just did apt install cockpit-pcp and everything just worked.
  • No special authentication and web setup needed (it is part of Cockpit).
  • Has zoom in and zoom out with selection on the graph for time period. Maximum range I saw was only a week and not entire year you have shown me. This is still very useful I think.
  • Not as powerful as munin or other dedicated tools. This should be okay, however.

If this looks good, we can introduce a ‘Performance’ app in ‘System’ and install this package as part of that. Then redirect users to Cockpit web interface. This would be very straightforward to do. Let me know what you think. If you like it, you can pick up this task.

2 Likes

@sunil,

‘Performance’ app in ‘System’

with cockpit-pcp looks very good to me before trying to add a ‘Munin’ app (or other dedicated tools) later.

I think I would be very glad to try to pick up this task. :blush:

1 Like

Let me know if you need any support with development.

1 Like

I add issue #1845, I hope that’s good.

2 Likes

System/Performance feedback

Metrics works well with in containers but with some Olimex SBC I observe that data from pcp may be not found as in this issue or are not well dated as above.

My guess is that we may need to find a workaround the lack of good clock at early boot time and/or maybe a JS problem in cockpit code (unfortunately I still need to learn to debug with Firefox :thinking:).

By the way, doing tests to try understanding, it seems that disabling Performance App may not suspend cron pcp associated tasks, if I notice correctly this may be a kind of bug.

And also:

munin samples

I am happy to run two Olimex LIME2 and recently intend to run a public Tor relay. Tor Relay Guide, Relay Post-install and good practices suggests munin that helps me as you may want to see :slight_smile:

I would like to make, with your help, munin as a FreedomBox available app.

Do you thing this could be planed ?

1 Like

I hope I’ll help to :slight_smile:

But I will also test Graphite Carbon as mentioned in the FreedomBox for Communities book.

In fact, Graphite originally did use RRD for storage until fundamental limitations arose that required a new storage engine. see

I am concerned about the amount of disk write operations in the default Munin configuration (solid-state drive (SSD) and micro SD card risks?).

Is the ISP link the bottle neck ?

Unfortunately munin is not available at the moment ( grapher is gone after a SD card failure)

I’m happy to share CPU to Tor

Capture d’écran de 2022-01-11 09-38-55

Tor Metrics