How did you discover FreedomBox?

I discovered Freedombox by quite an accident. I was browsing the DebConf Videos YouTube channel in the middle of the night, and I cam across a presentation by Bdale Garbee titled ‘FreedomBox Update’.
I’m curious about how others here first bumped into the project.

1 Like

Freedombox was mentioned in a podcast I listen to (“gadget of the week”). I thought it sounded really cool, and a great way to learn more about networking and self-hosted solutions. Honestly, it is way more polished and easy to use than I was expecting!

2 Likes

I was poking around in Google’s search engine looking for what to do with my RBPi 2. I just started a syncthing share at that time. I though this would be a cool thing to do 3 years prior.

1 Like

Looking over hardware on the Olimex website.

1 Like

From Professor Moglen, from his interview. That was a long time ago, it was just an idea then, the freedombox itself didn’t exist yet.

2 Likes

looking at yunohost and cloudron
https://alternativeto.net/software/yunohost/
found freedombox, then watched

2 Likes

Love

I am alway’s amazed by the progress of the volunteers, and students.

HUGS

Was looking at getting into single board computers and found that same video bob posted above.

1 Like

I don’t remember for sure, it was a few years ago, but as far as I remember there are three options:

1. Random Google search for online privacy and security.
  2. It was listed on Prism-Break as a reliable solution for home server.
    FreedomBox - Projects - PRISM Break
  3. I found the android app in F-Droid.
    FreedomBox | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I attended an intro to FreedomBox session by @sunil.

1 Like

Nothing exciting: from Debian Wiki RSS feed :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I watched Eben Moglens “Freedom in the Cloud” lecture about 12 years ago where he mentioned his vision of a FreedomBox - then became incredibly inspired about the Free Software philosophy, ditched Windows and started working with Linux and built my own version of a little homeserver based on an early Odroid U2. In the meantime I forgot about Freedombox until it crossed my mind again about 2 years ago while searching for a simple way to setup and maintain a Matrix Synapse server.

Now im in :hearts: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I am a newbie here, since I discovered FreedomBox a few days ago in a toot on Mastodon. I have been looking for self-hosting since some time. I am now eagerly waiting for my FreedomBox arriving at home. I also hope to discover a friendly community. I will let you know about my first steps and experiences.

3 Likes

I was searching for alternative ot NextCloud installed on a shared hosting that non-stop reached inodes quota of my plan back then.