FreedomBox without NAT Loopback

Apologies if this should be in Support. I felt it was a more general question than should go there, but I could be wrong.

I recently switched Internet Service Providers, and they gave me a new router. Several services on my FreedomBox began having issues. It seems this new router does not provide something called “NAT Loopback?” Basically, I can access my services from outside my network via my public domain name, but if I’m inside my network the public domain name doesn’t work, and I have to use a local IP address. So, if I’m at home and I try to access my Matrix server via a Riot app, it can’t find the server.

Is this an issue people run into often? Is there a simple way to fix this lack of NAT Loopback without purchasing a new router that has that functionality available?

I faced a similar problem with my router when I was using the “DMZ” feature which forwards all incoming traffic to my FreedomBox unconditionally. I stopped that and configured port forwarding for specific ports that I need. Then my setup worked. If you are using DMZ, try port forwarding instead.

That’s good to know, but I am actually using port forwarding already. My router is an Arris TG1682G, which appears to be a model that doesn’t allow NAT Loopback? It doesn’t allow me to specify another device to use as a DNS server, either (I’m not sure if that would work, anyway).

I get the feeling I’m going to need to get another router to put between my main one and my other devices, but I just wanted to check before I purchased anything. :+1: