FreedomBox on Kali… (or other pure Debian flavors)

Problem Description
Kali is a Debian pure distribution, with a bunch of things I like, which is why I use it as daily driver; and since I try to unify/minimize the number of OS (variations) in use, I installed FreedomBox on Kali.
It’s worth noting, that Kali inherits FreedomBox from the Debian distribution, i.e. it’s also part of the Kali distribution, and can be installed simply with the adequate apt command.

The problem is, /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/plinth/modules/upgrades/privileged.py hardcodes the distribution name/servers, and that causes issues!

In essence each “://deb.debian.org/debian/“ needs to be replaced with “://kali.download/kali/“ for things to work as expected.

Of course, with each update of FreedomBox, that gets overwritten again, causing a system maintenance nightmare.

In essence, this just needs to be rewritten to make less assumptions about the actual Debian flavor being used. It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out that stem from /etc/apt/sources.list, and use a corresponding variable, instead of hard coding this into the script.

1 Like

Could you please post the contents of /etc/dpkg/origins/default from your system?