Freedombox internal vs external network

Hey guys,

I have the following situation:

I have my freedombox 20.3 on a raspberry pi 2 connected to my home router (via cable) and on the router I’ve set the box as a DMZ which has everything forwarded to it. i wanna be able to use my home router as my Wi-Fi provider for the devices in house and my freedombox only for services.

I want to be able to have an OpenVPN setup from my freedombox to be able to acces the services from when I’m not at home.

In order for OpenVPN to work I have to setup my freedombox to use an external network. If I put my network to external, then the devices connected to my router can no longer access internet at all, but I am only able to access internet via VPN. If my freedombox connection is internal everything works properly except the VPN.

What I want to achieve is to be able to use all my freedombox services (such as samba) from my home from internal networks on all devices while I’m connected to the home router and when outside home to connect to the VPN to do so.

I am not sure what I’m doing wrong…

When you are saying internal and external do you mean the firewall on your router or on FreedomBox?

Because if you are talking about Freedombox I find it difficult to see how that s affecting your router’s connectivity to the Internet. It will affect only the services running on Freedombox.

Hey nkatakis,

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I meant external/internal on freedombox.

For me it’s quite difficult to understand why as well, this is why I thought posting it here. I can make you a video of this behavior if you like.

Could be something related to the DNS? Having bind started on the router with additional 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 although I tried to stop the service and I get the same behavior.

This is so confusing! I mean putting a network interface on FreedomBox as external and the rest of the devices losing connection to the Internet, I m struggling to see how DNS can be related.

If you have a Linux device at home, when you lose connectivity, please do the things below:

ping -c 3 9.9.9.9
dig freedombox.org
ip route show

and post the output here of all 3 commands please. Hopefully they ll show something useful.
If not in Linux, I m not a Windows user and cannot help.

Please tell also how your FreedomBox is connected to the router (wifi or ethernet) and what is the model/brand of your router.