Freedombox in systemd-nspawn Container with btrfs on SSD

So, after several attempts at experimenting with various hardware setups and FBX images, I have come to the conclusion that I would like to attempt to keep things pertaining to my FBX install (mostly) simple, safe, readily expandable, and fault tolerant, using hardware I already have.
The idea I had for doing this is to install/setup FBX in a systemd-nspawn container to a USB SSD drive, with the SSD drive being formatted to btrfs. I am using RaspiOS Bullseye on the RPi4 on SD for the system OS, mainly for compatibility, since Debian is not yet fully developed for the RPi4; this is primarily due to non free hardware/firmware issues. For more info, see: https://raspi.debian.net/. After that, I will (hopefully) be able to migrate my existing FBX install/setup to the new hardware.
I have a few questions about this before I get too involved:

1. Can I run a Debian-Freedombox image in a systemd-nspawn container on a USB SSD formatted to btrfs in RaspiOS, leaving the stock filesystem intact on the SD card? (SD cards are cheap, and I have backup images ready if it fails)
  2. Can someone please instruct me on how to do this?
  3. Does anyone know of a “good” guide to follow to achieve this goal?
  4. What “Gotcha’s” might/will I need to address to make this happen?
  5. Are bridge-utils or reverse proxy software necessary for networking security?

Thanks for replies in advance! :slight_smile:

Update 12-18-2021:
So I have it working, Yeah!
“You are running Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) and FreedomBox version 21.4.4. FreedomBox is up to date.” Unfortunately, without “true” btrfs yet. I have it on a btrfs partition, on an external hdd mounted at /var/lib/machines, but this is not adequate for snapshots, or for the FBX spawn to recognize the filesystem for the storage module features.
Answering questions #2, and #3, I found a good guide at Setting up containers with systemd-nspawn | by Julian Harttung | Medium for setting up the container, but there is at least one thing I did differently - When invoking the container build command, I used the following: sudo debootstrap --include=systemd-container bullseye /var/lib/machines/freedombox http://deb.debian.org/debian/, I omitted the architecture statement, because on the first run I didn’t, I used --arch=armhf, and the freedombox installation did not complete, with ssh, sshd, apache, and LDAP only being half configured after install.
To answer my question #5, yes, bridge-utils are necessary, in order to create a separate external network connection through bridging, so that the FBX spawn can be seen as a separate device from the host on the network.

Update 12-24-2021: So after a week on this project, I have found that while Systemd-Nspawn is great for development and testing work, it is not suitable for secure production due to some feature limitations.

“Modern systemd-nspawn is a versatile and full-featured tool you can use for a variety of different Linux use cases, but its primary purpose is to serve as a tool for developing and testing.”
which can be found at Container Time » Linux Magazine.

So, looks like I’ll be looking for another solution…

I have never done such a thing, but I can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t work. Give it a shot!

I would probably just get the Debian container setup, and install FBX fresh. It shouldn’t be too bad to get your stuff reinstalled and get your configurations all set up, and obviously you could move over any files you want afterward. I’m not saying it isn’t going to work moving over your existing install, it just seems like a lot could go wrong and given how simple FBX configurations are it might not even be worth it.

Here’s the documentation for installing FBX once you get the Debian container squared away: FreedomBox/Hardware/Debian - Debian Wiki

Yeah, I should have been more clear about the migration part, sorry. I keep regular backups with the System/Backups utility within Freedombox on my current installation, and plan to restore the latest full backup once I get the new system set up properly. Thanks for the input!