I thought I’d leave a brief note for the devs that I rebooted FreedomBox today. It was unavoidable because I wanted to move the furniture. My last manual reboot was over three months ago and was not a problem with FreedomBox itself.
I wanted FreedomBox mainly for DHCP, routing, and firewall. Unlike the ISP supplied devices it never requires intervention.
- Hard drive failure? BTRFS RAID1 to the rescue.
- Cable modem chokes? FreedomBox can be configured to ignore its DHCP offer until you get a proper one from the ISP.
- Accidentally hot-unplug a hard drive and leave it until the system dies? Plug it back in and reboot. It was fine.
- Major operating system upgrade? Mostly happened while I slept.
- Continuous script-kiddie attacks? Banned. Banned. Banned…
This is industrial strength software. I’m incredibly pleased with FreedomBox.