FreedomBox as a Mail SERVER

Hello :slight_smile:

I am new in the FreedomBox and have already been using YunoHost for several years. For me, the bad point is, FreedomBox doesn’t provide a Mail Server, which is very important nowadays… YunoHost provides a mail server, and it would be great to implant this function on FreedomBox.

As far as I am concerned, it is weird to propose to connect on Google Mail, since we know what we have to expect with this big US company that collects our information…

I hope, the FreedomBox staff will propose soon a proper mail server.

1 Like

Flynn will work as GSoC intern this summer implementing the e-Mail Server in FreedomBox.

Propose to connect on Google Mail??? We’ve got this forum, a mailing list, and 2 IRC channels. No need for Google mail. On the other hand we’re in the open here. It’s our private stuff that needs private communication channels.

This is a good stuff, because it is a important to own a private mail server, as YNH does it!

I might expand this more than necessary, but… I use a VPS and Webmin to manage my BIND9 DNS infrastructure, I connect my YNH to my DNS to have 100% RFC-compliant service stacks (DNSSEC, SSL, email, SQL, LDAP) and I am going to use FreedomBox to slowly replace the VPS… I think connecting anything “Big Tech” such as Google email defeats the purpose of FreedomBox.

I run Hubzilla from YunoHost, and I would like to use FreedomBox to do that - so the VPS provider cannot claim I store “hate speech” on THEIR platform.

So, I think when you look at FreedomBox as part of a much bigger picture, such as an owner-operated microscopic-sized Data Center, you find the same type of separation by purpose and capacity for all the other awesome software…

So, I personally would love to see FreedomBox to support I2P for example, before anything else of the legacy Layer 3 stuff.