Freedom Box installation failure in Debian 11 VPS

Problem Description
Every time I install Freedom Box in my VPS which is Debian 11 following the instruction in
FreedomBox/Hardware/Debian - Debian Wiki, the installation will not succeed, and all be stuck here, and I cannot ping the IP of my VPS anymore.

Done

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) …

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-11-amd64

After that, what I got is only VPS’s disconnection to the internet.

What is the VPS? What do you know about the hardware? What architecture are you using?

I have FreedomBox installed on a beefy Ubuntu Linux workstation, under a VirtualBox instance. This is by no means an “optimal” setup, it is for kicking the tires.

DO NOT get stuck on one issue - change your environment. I would never waste my time with FreedomBox if it was not shown to be functional under virtualization. I simply cannot afford to install another box, anywhere, even if its only 1" x 1".

If the VPS or Debian does not work as expected - change your setup until you run out of easy options. Especially when you are new to the technology do not try to “troubleshoot”, you have no idea what you are doing. You need a working model, a functioning “baseline” to start learning anything.

This is usually a CPU-intensive process. If your VPS instance’s CPU allocation is low, it might take a long time.

BTW, you should also note down the “first setup wizard secret” while setting up your FreedomBox on a VPS. Please refer to the following wiki page.
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Cloud#On_other_cloud_providers

1 Like

Just a guess, in case you followed the wiki instructions to clean out /etc/network/interfaces but your VPS actually needs a static setup, the problem could be the newly started network-manager failing to get an IP and resetting it to some local bogus after some time.

1 Like