Firewall Configuration

Hy. I just tested the FreedomBox once again and I am realy happy with your project.
I will like to use it for home, but I will like also some particular Firewall setup, especially against the NMAP scanner.

On a classic Debian firewall, I use the fallowing IP tables configuration to allow ONLY the ESTABLISHED OR RELATED CONNECTIONS to pass into my router everything else being drop by default. The code is below where eth0 is my WAN and eth1 is my LAN. :

# Generated by iptables-save v1.6.0 on Tue May 21 09:07:41 2019
    *nat
    :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
    :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
    :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    COMMIT
    # Completed on Tue May 21 09:07:41 2019
    *mangle
    :PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
    :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
    :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
    COMMIT
    *filter
    :INPUT DROP [0:0]
    :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
    -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -m conntrack -i eth0 --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    -A FORWARD -m conntrack -i eth0 -o eth1 --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    COMMIT

My quiescence is how can i replicate the same configuration, only the established or related connections to be allows into my router, everything else to be doped.

I have no experience with Firewalls (i`m just learning now) and I will like to replicate those setups on your firewall but be able to use/change (add wifi or remove cards) configuration but not always modify the IPTABLES. Can you help me please. Thank you.

@HellScream, I won’t be able to help with converting the iptables rules for FreedomBox but I can help with some basic information. FreedomBox uses firewalld for managing firewall rules. It allows for custom rules to be specified using the ‘direct’ rules feature. However, FreedomBox has switched over to using nftables instead of iptables. I believe these rules will need to be converted to nftable rules and feed to firewalld as direct rules.

Masquerading in FreedomBox is handled by firewalld. Any interface assigned the zone ‘external’ will automatically start masquerading. So, make sure that your network connection for eth0 is in ‘external’ zone.