Feedback FreedomBox

Overall Impressions

My overall impression is very positive. I almost give up on the idea hosting my own services as usually it is very time consuming. FreedomBox makes this process very easy.

List of things you liked

• the build in documentation. The documentation is really helpful and should be further maintained and improved.
  • the Single Sign On (SSO) using LDAP.
  • system apps are helpful.
  • app installation process is easy.

List of things you disliked

• storage locations are hard to understand
  • external vs. internal networking

Feedback on a Problem or for Improvement

Summary

It is often times hard to understand where files are getting stored (samba etc.). Many times the storage is somewhere in the system. It would be nice to have a clear storage hierarchy such as all files are under /storage this would make it easier to move/mount all stored files.

External vs. internal networking is always a problem in a home environment. Internet Service Provider (ISP) make it as hard as possible to have control over your own internet. FreedomBox tries to tackle this problem with different approaches and some of them are very successful. Still it is frustrating, especially to figure out what service can be reached from outside and which one is only internal.

A tool like the diagnostic tool checking the ports and connections from outside could help here. Basically running an external service which checks the availability.

Description

External vs. internal networking is always a problem in a home environment. Internet Service Provider (ISP) make it as hard as possible to have control over your own internet. FreedomBox tries to tackle this problem with different approaches and some of them are very successful. Still it is frustrating, especially to figure out what service can be reached from outside and which one is only internal.

Proposed Solution

A tool like the diagnostic tool checking the ports and connections from outside could help here. Basically running an external service which checks the availability.

I think you’ll be hearing from me often regarding feedback. For starters, let me first say a BIG THANK YOU! Thank you for making all of this possible.

Can you please include a dark theme like the one in FBX Forum? I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one with very light sensitive eyes. Same theme, dark grey with blue highlights please.

I believe under System —> Update, right after Check for and apply the latest software and security updates. There should be the current FBX version #.

1 Like

I opened an issue about this: ui: Add dark theme (#1847) · Issues · FreedomBox / FreedomBox · GitLab

1 Like

That would help.

However, I think having the system infos more easily available would be helpful. The most important version is the version info of FreedomBox. The second bulk of information I would want as a developer is the system platform (CPU, GPU, RAM etc.). Make it easy to copy and paste them.

@jvalleroy I am all for a dark theme as well. The best would be to have an option to switch between a light and dark theme.

I heard that browsers these days pass on through API whether users are using light theme or dark one. Website can use this to automatically choose the right theme. We can provide a manual choice on top of this automatic selection like in case of language.

2 Likes

Your Info your requesting would be nice.

I would greatly appreciate that sunil. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: