Feature Request: Password manager

I would love a password manager that resides on my own internal network. Is this possible? What password managers exist? Any safe?

2 Likes

We had some discussion about this earlier here

I’m currently using KeePassXC synced between my computers using Syncthing as my password manager.

3 Likes

Simular here. I use Keepass and Keepassx on different devices, and sync the keyfiles (the one with *.kdbx with Syncthing

In my opinion syncing the kdbx files is a workaround not a real solution to: “Feature Request: Password manager”. In believe, the password manager should either be de-central and a copy is on FreedomBox. Or central, where you manage your passwords via application installed on the FreedomBox.

I believe that despite ability to use Syncthing, we can have a password manager app available in FreedomBox. If there is a good password manager already packaged for Debian, that would make it easy to offer a FreedomBox app for it.

There are many password managers out there. With varying quality. My requirements would be:

1. Web Interface
  2. Offline clients
  3. User/group management
  4. Password sharing

I am not sure if any libre/free password manager can achieve those requirements.

Debian has indeed a page about password manager:

The Debian page also refers to the ArchLinux page:

Here is a list of password managers I did a quick evaluation on:

I am not sure how the FreedomBox Team chooses how to integrate new software. However, the password managers in Linux are mostly local password managers. On the other hand many companies provide hosted password manager services for multiple users. I think it would be nice to provide a path for both user groups.

The approach @njoseph detailed is valuable and works. It should be documented as it only requires Syncthing. However, I can see how people accidentally overwrite there password databases and get angry.

What is about bitwarden?

There is an API-compatible implementation of Bitwarden in Rust (original implementation in .Net) which is considered more suitable for self-hosting.

Padloc is also a fully open source, full featured password manager.
https://padloc.app/
https://padloc.app/help/guides/self-host/