[CLAIMED] Contributor Invite: SSH Documentation

About this Contributor Invite:

• Task Area: Documentation
  • Effort rating: 1/5
  • Skills required: English, Linux command line familiarity

Description of the Problem:

Currently, our wiki’s documentation of SSH does not explain how to create and use SSH keys to log in to your FreedomBox via SSH. This is a problem because it means that users who are unfamiliar with SSH will not know how to create SSH keys and why SSH keys are preferable to passwords.

Since the FreedomBox operating system’s built-in manual is imported directly from our wiki’s documentation, this means that the text in FreedomBox manual is also lacking information about SSH.

What we ask of you:

Please edit the wiki page in our manual for SSH: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/SecureShell

Please include the following information in your revisions to our documentation:

• how to create and use SSH keys to log in to your FreedomBox via SSH
  • why SSH keys are preferable to passwords
  • how Cockpit is an alternative within FreedomBox to using SSH

Link to the issue in GitLab: https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues/1628

How to claim this Contributor Invite:

Do you want to accept this invitation to contribute? If so, follow these steps:

1. Comment on this forum post indicating that you would like to claim the invite. This will prevent multiple people from working on the same issue at the same time.
  2. Register an account with our GitLab instance and begin making your contributions on the GitLab issue page for this task. You can use the comment section of this forum post to ask questions, but the bulk of the development discussion should happen on GitLab.

Resources:

If you need help with this issue, please feel free to ask for it from members of our core team:

• Sunil Mohan Adapa (@sunil): Lead Developer & Code Reviewer
  • Joseph Nuthalapati (@njoseph ): DevOps Engineer, Developer, & Code Reviewer
  • James Valleroy (@jvalleroy) : Release Manager, Developer, & Code Reviewer

Hi, I would like to claim this issue for myself and add documentation to the SSH key issue.

I will make a Gitlab account in a few hours and start adding to the wiki :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to our community, @m4iler! My name is Danny, and I work at the FreedomBox Foundation. I’m here if you have any questions.

Since you’ve claimed this invite, I’ll mark it as [CLAIMED] in the title.

Thanks for claiming it, and good luck!

@haidar

Hi! Thanks for accepting my offer, Danny! :slight_smile:

One question: I cannot seem to register an account with your Gitlab instance, it says users can be only added by Maintainers. The problem is that the “Register or Sign in” button is not working for me, since I cannot register my account.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Hm, try going here to register an account: https://signup.salsa.debian.org/register/guest/

You should receive an email confirmation right after you enter the account information. I just tested it, and it worked for me.