I changed the domain of the Freedombox (because it was a subdomain and after activating postfix/dovecot, I had the impression that I did not receive certain email to the main domain handled by another server).
However, whenever I try to connect to re-create an account with the new domain in Gajim, Gajim complains about the certificate and shows that the certificate it has received has the old name in “organization” and it says it was issue on Feb 2021 and expired on Feb 2022. It also gives a SN and fingerprints but I don’t know where to check that on the Freedombox.
I have a less detailed complain from another XMPP client (MAXS, android).
Still, I made sure that ejabberd points to the new domain, I also went into the Let’s encrypt configuration and asked to removed the certificate for the old domain that was still there. I also rebooted afterwards, in case, but still no success.
I also have Quassel complain about certificate but the client does not provide that detailed information.
Not sure what to do.
EDIT: the certificate visible when accessing plinth in the web browser is brand new, linked to the new domain and perfectly fine. In addition, email and CardDav/CalDav clients do’n’t complain either. The problem is only with ejabberd and quassel.