Action Needed: Dynamic DNS Server Migration

After consenting, how much will it take until the domains become accessible again?

1 Like

There is an unexpected outage at DNS server for freedombox.rocks and all of its subdomains. We are working to resolve the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. There is no action required on your part, please continue to give the consent and change your configuration as described in the announcement. I will continue to post updates on the resolution of the problem.

Also, to clarify the announcement: you may give your consent and change your configuration any time before December 15th. When you change your configuration your domain should continue to work without any interruption. This works because your requests to the new server due to changed configuration will be automatically forwarded to the old server until the switch on December 15th. The switch on December 15th should also happen with minimal or no interruption. The current outage seems to be unrelated to the consent/configuration change and proxy service running on the new server.

2 Likes

freedombox.rocks and all of its subdomains are up and running now. The outage was caused due to a configuration error on the old server during preparation activities for the server migration. The error has been handled.

If you face any further troubles in DNS resolution for freedombox.rocks domains, please report them.

1 Like

I added advice to new users seeking to create an account on the new server.

1 Like

I moved my FreedomBox to a new Dynamic DNS https://ddns.freedombox.org/ — my FreedomBox is now inaccessible at columbus.freedombox.rocks. (And I can’t get a new Lets Encrypt certificate for my site :(. )

15 posts were split to a new topic: [SOLVED] Trouble registering on gnudip.datasystems24.net

He’s back :slight_smile: FreedomBox on the new Dynamic DNS.

1 Like

This suggests leaving the password blank. Have you tried that?

Reminder: Before December 15th, please consent to migrating your freedombox.rocks Dynamic DNS domain to FreedomBox Foundation servers or use another provider. After that date, your domain will no longer work.

Those facing issues with Let’s Encrypt certificate when Dynamic DNS configuration is changed many times, note that yesterday’s release of FreedomBox includes a fix to ensure that certificates are not revoked and re-obtained during the configuration changes and that Let’s Encrypt’s weekly rate limit is not hit. This fix should reach you in 4-5 days.

Same here

I See, you got the problem solved two days later. Was this by magic, or did you do something about it?

@hanstux, when Dynamic DNS configuration is updated, FreedomBox was removing the domain and re-adding it. At this time, Let’s Encrypt was revoking the certificate and re-obtaining it. First is that this process may take up-to 30 seconds and one may feel that it is stuck and attempt to reload the page and redo the configuration.

Let’s Encrypt has a weekly limit of 5 certificates per week and this may soon be hit (we didn’t consider this when doing initial implementation). I suppose that after this, LE certificate is no longer a valid one. If one were to try again in a few days, this would succeed and work (this likely the above noticed behavior). The latest release of FreedomBox, which is already available in Bullseye backports, has a fix to never automatically revoke a certificate (treating them as precious). So, this problem should effectively not occur on the latest version.

If you have already run into this rate limit by LE. I think the only solution is to try again after a few days when the cool down has occurred.

1 Like

I don’t know the reason. I did everything according to the instructions, and now everything is fine. Sunil explained the possible reason.

Final Reminder: Before December 15th (only two days remaining), please consent to migrating your freedombox.rocks Dynamic DNS domain to FreedomBox Foundation servers or use another provider. After that date, your domain will no longer work. If you are facing problems or have special concerns, please reach out to us.

if I enter https://ddns.freedombox.org/ in my Webbrowser, there is still “Available soon”
Is it up allready?

Migration is underway, it may take some time and may finish tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Migration Completed: Server migration has been completed. No further user action is required. Notes:

• Accounts on the old server that have consented to data migration are now available on new server. Users may login, change password, set IP address/preferences, etc. on the new server.
  • Accounts on the old server that have not consented to data migration have not been migrated to the new server and those users will not be able to login to the server. However, these usernames/domains have been reserved on the new server so that other users will not be able take these domains.
  • Users wishing to consent now and migrate their disabled accounts from old server to the new server can still do so by logging into the old server and providing consent.
  • New registrations have been enabled on the new server and disabled on the old server.
  • Domains for users who have not done their configuration changes will also continue to work as the old server will now forward DNS update requests to the new server. However, this will stop on January 15th, 2022. Please update your configuration to point to the new server if you already have not.
  • There is no further user action required for configuration changes as these have already been done by users who consented.
  • There was no down time during server migration. If you face any issues, please contact us.

Also there is a new domain ‘fbx.one’ to use with your Dynamic DNS account. You can now choose between <mydomain>.fbx.one and <mydomain>.freedombox.rocks.

2 Likes

Some users have faced an issue with new registrations where the verification email was delayed. The problem should be fixed now and mails should reach without much delay. If there are problems with new accounts, write to us.

My account was migrated recently, but I don’t see IPv6 support. Is it not implemented yet?

IPv6 support is unfortunately, not available in GnuDIP as far as I can see. It was added to other “Update URL” based services.

However, we are planning major changes (both on the server and client side) to the GnuDIP services including IPv6 support.