Transmission & Samba open_share - permission denied message on reboot

Problem Description

Hello All and thanks !!

When Freedombox is rebooted and I then add a new torrent to Transmission I get a error message in Transmission web UI ‘Error permission denied’. Then, if I disable Samba and Transmission and then re-enable Transmission and Samba and add a new torrent all works OK. The Freedombox user is ‘admin’ with all privileges.

Steps to Reproduce

Reboot Freedombox and add a new torrent to Transmission and the error message is there again. Disable the two apps again and enable them and all is OK again until a reboot.

If there is a kernel updated in the morning time and Freedombox needs a reboot. The torrent will be broken because of the permission issue.

Then it disable and re-enable Transmission and Samba and all back to working again.

Regards: peter

Screenshot

I have attach a screenshot of Transmission Web UI that shows the error message. After a reboot and a new torrent is added.

Information

• File Permissions for: open_share
/var/lib/freedombox/shares/open_share

drwxrwsr-x+ 1 root freedombox-share open_share
  • FreedomBox version:

Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) and FreedomBox version 21.3. FreedomBox is up to date.

• Hardware:

Laptop: LENOVO 0769ECG

• How did you install FreedomBox ?:

sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt -t buster-backports install freedombox

I was able to reproduce this problem, created an issue at Salsa: transmission: Permission denied when trying to write to Samba share after reboot (#2061) · Issues · FreedomBox / FreedomBox · GitLab. Thanks for reporting.

Hello @vexch and Thanks

The issue is back again when minidlna is used with samba group_share and transmission.

It looks like minidlna needs adding to ?

“deluge, mldonkey, syncthing, transmission: Ensure nslcd is running before the service is started”

file path used by minidlna, samba and transmission:

/var/lib/freedombox/shares/group_share

Regards and thanks: peter

Minidlna shouldn’t need any extra permissions. The version with the fix FreedomBox 21.4.1 released has not landed in buster-backports yet, it can take about a month as Debian has slowed down package updates because of upcoming new stable release.

@vexch Thanks for the info,

I just look at Debian packages for minidlna and in buster its:

minidlna (1.2.1+dfsg-2+deb10u2)

And in bullseye its:

minidlna (1.3.0+dfsg-2)

As you pointed out this package will become available by backports for buster !

Regards: peter