Status NextCloud as App?

Ups, Yunohost is based on Debian 9 (stretch), so would probably need to run in qemu/kvm.

My settings:

_,met$$$$$gg.          
    ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       ------------------ 
  ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) aarch64 
 ,$$P'              `$$$.     Model: Hardkernel ODROID-C2 
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Kernel: 4.18.8-odroidc2 
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Uptime: 225 days, 7 hours, 42 minutes 
 $$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Packages: 1169 
 $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Shell: bash 4.4.12 
 $$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      Resolution: 1360x768 
 Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         WM: GNOME Shell 
 `$$b      "-.__              CPU: (4) @ 1.5GHz 
  `Y$$                        Memory: 456MB / 1976MB 
   `Y$$.                       
     `$$b.                    ████████████████████████ 
       `Y$$b.                  
          `"Y$b._ 
              `""" 

Today I finally received my bandwidth update (100MBit down / 40 up) and I can say that was the bottle neck. Now using it for e.g. Nextcloud Talk is no problem. I’m quite happy with it.

If I didn’t mention before:

Under no circumstances you should host it on the microSD! The syncing stresses the cards much so that you just have to wait for an fatal error that screws your system to hell.
Use armbian-config to move the system at once to an usb-hdd and only boot from microSD. And don’t forget a solution for backup. It cost me years of my life span to learn that the hard way the last years :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The goal would be to have Nextcloud as a FreedomBox app. It should be easy to install, like other apps in FreedomBox.

1 Like

I think that is an important point. Users will be disappointed the moment they loose all their data.

1 Like

Yes, sure, that 's why I’m considering to install the freedombox package in a slax.org environment as posted in the other thread.

Maybe it would not make sense for freedombox developers, to completely reimplement web-app installation scripts, if instead, many app sources could be moved (as lib packages?) into a debian repo, together with some slightly enhanced existing helper scripts…

…from upstream, or sending some patches or the cooperation idea upstream.

Reading the (upstream) FAQ (YunoHost • index):

Apps were packaged in .deb in the past. It was a nightmare. We’re happy now ;).

YunoHost aims to make packaging [web applications] easy. The idea from the beginning was to keep it as simple as « if you can install the app manually, then you can easily copy/paste steps into a basic install/remove package with no particular training ». This is not the case with Debian packages.

Turns out, YunoHost apps packaging holds a subtly different purpose than traditional packaging like .deb. Debian packages fulfill the low-level purpose of installing files, commands, programs and services on the system. It is often your duty to configure them properly, simply because there is no standard server setup. Typically, web apps requires a lot of configuration because they rely on a web server and a database (and the single sign-on).

YunoHost manipulates high-level abstractions (apps, domains, users, …) and defines a standard setup (Nginx, Postfix, Metronome, SSOwat, …) and, because of this, can handle the configuration for the user.

They have rules for creating scripts that use adaptable helper functions:
nextcloud_ynh/scripts at testing · YunoHost-Apps/nextcloud_ynh · GitHub

Has there been any traction on getting this app into the “main” apps? It seems like it should be an easy decision to get behind - since its predecessor (owncloud) was only removed from FreedomBox because it was dropped from Debian.

It goes without saying that this would benefit a great number of users.

Edit:
Sorry for the pointless bump, I thought nextcloud was in the Debian repos :frowning: considerable sadness.

NextCloud is in the road map for 2021.
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Roadmap2021

Development efforts are currently focused on Jitsi Meet for video conferencing. The plan is to have at least an experimental version of NextCloud in the second half of this year.

5 Likes

Awesome news! I had a FreedomBox running on port 80 and a Nextcloud snap instance on the same raspberry pi 4 for a short time span. Something updated and I lost the FreedomBox interface to Nextcloud taking port 80, I didn’t bother to set it back up. I ended up putting Nextcloud on a dedicated Pi. But that sounds awesome! FreedomBox is quickly becoming a brilliant and easy solution to ANYTHING internet related!

3 Likes
1 Like