Raspi4 image doesn't boot

hiya there outta there,

:slight_smile: tried out your stuff on a raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of ram but after xz -dv and dd’ing it to micro-sd it finds just one partition (primary). as far as i know raspi4 has something like an (u)efi bios, so there’s a missing boot partition for me.

the whole procedure repeated two times including downloading, sig.check,unzxing, dding and booting, no boot at all.

fooling me with this image? something wrong with procedure? simply doesn’t work?

Lizbeth

Hi Lizbeth,
I think that the simpliest way is to flash a µSD CARD using the the rapsberry pi imager https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/
You can select a custom image. By exemple, the one you have downloaded.
Personnaly I did like that with a ubuntu server (host operating system), then installed debian buster in a LXC container (guest operating system), Freedom Box seems to work inside. My idea is to separate differents functions of freedombox in different containers provided the usage considered (back up server for me alone, eJabbered server with friends, public web server…)

You’ll find my long boring recipe here : Freedombox in LXC -- how to make OpenVPN work?

If you want a more graphical experience, it works well with a RDP server on the host system
I use lxde with the following packages :
sudo apt-get install ufw
sudo apt-get install lxde
sudo apt-get install xauth
sudo apt-get install xrdp

create user for the xrdp server and secure your system

sudo adduser xrdp ssl-cert

Add an XRDP user to the « xrdp » to the « ssl-cert » group

sudo adduser xrdp ssl-cert

restart the xrdp server so that it is running under the user added above

sudo systemctl restart xrdp

setup the firewall

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24 to any port 3389
sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.0/24 to any port 22
sudo ufw disable #restart ufw to apply the changes
sudo ufw enable

then tell xrdp that he will have to use LXDE, otherwise the experience won’t be very interactive (Ubuntu 14.04 – LXDE Desktop Alternative for XRDP – Griffon's IT Library)

echo lxsession -s LXDE -e LXDE > ~/.xsession
sudo service xrdp restart

Then it should work. On ubuntu Remmina client suits well for that.

hi again,

I’m working on my laptop with freeBSD so there is no RaspiImager available, just the good old dd! Is it right, that there’s just one partition as an output? I miss the boot partition that is in any case necessary with the .bdm and the .efi file on it!

Lizbeth