Matrix won't start with Public Registration enabled

Yes. That is exactly the same issue I am experiencing, and presumably everyone else on FB V22.15.

What’s odd is element can’t seem to find my matrix server even with public registration off. I’d expect to connect, and not be allowed to join… Can you connect?

That sounds like a completely different issue entirely.

so in your situation element can connect?

Have you tried a project like this?

I have not, thanks for the recommendation.

Please answer this for me in your situation, if you run the matrix server with public registration off, can you connect to it? If so when you type in your dynamic domain in any browser what happens? does a matrix portal show itself? or does nothing show itself?

Because when I turn public registration off, the app runs but I cannot connect to the domain through a browser or the element chat program.

Do you have the following in /etc/matrix-synapse/homeserver.yaml?

enable_registration_without_verification: true

enable_registration: true

1 Like

Thanks Neil. I feel kind of silly now. The server starts no problem. Thank You! It seems I cannot yet register however:

Screenshot_20220924_193648

I guess I just need to read up on how to create a site key if I want to use Captchas.

Okay, added the private and public keys into the homeserver.yaml. For some reason it still refused to work until I unchecked 'Verify the origin of re CAPTCHA solutions" for in the Google settings.

Now it’s working.

On to the next problem.

Can somebody help please ?
I modified the yaml , see below but Matrix wont start anymore

Registration

Enable registration for new users.

enable_registration_without_verification: true
enable_registration: true

Captcha

See docs/CAPTCHA_SETUP.md for full details of configuring this.

This Home Server’s ReCAPTCHA public key.

recaptcha_public_key: “6Lf7S2YiAA******r73OXerUKlyv6wIjWE_ma5”

This Home Server’s ReCAPTCHA private key.

recaptcha_private_key: “6Lf7S2YiA*******6wvp74wWgUfZP6fNC-”

Enables ReCaptcha checks when registering, preventing signup

unless a captcha is answered. Requires a valid ReCaptcha

public/private key.

enable_registration_captcha: true

Could you please try turning off public registration? We seem to be facing issue with it currently.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn’t see the previous discussion.

Are you using the Google reCAPTCHA service?

I have the same issue. with “public registration enabled”, I get a bunch of “fails” in the diagnostics. I turned off public registration, and I no longer get the failures in diagnostics.

Hey, did you get this sorted out. I think it’s editing the YAML and adding google captcha options as described earlier in this thread that fixed it for me.

Hi Frankie -
No, I haven’t looked since then - let me review this thread, and then find some time to try this. Thanks!