FreedomBox 20.7 released

FreedomBox 20.7 has been released and uploaded to Debian unstable. Typically it will migrate to testing in 2 days, and then can be uploaded to stable-backports.

Changes in 20.6.1 and 20.7:

• users: Restore line of help text that was accidentally dropped
  • gitweb: Use proper ellipsis char when showing clone progress
  • matrixsynapse: Fix initial installation and upgrade from backports
  • gitweb: Improve error handling when creating repository
  • debian: Add firmware-ath9k-htc to Recommends
  • locale: Update translations for Norwegian Bokmål, German, French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Serbian, and Telugu

The following people contributed to the git repository for these releases:

• Allan Nordhøy
  • Coucouf
  • Fioddor Superconcentrado
  • James Valleroy
  • Jeannette L
  • Joseph Nuthalapati
  • Localisation Lab
  • Manuela Silva
  • nautilusx
  • Veiko Aasa
  • vihor
  • wind
2 Likes

This is great news.

Am I right in thinking that, on a fresh Debian system, if I replace the line in sudo apt edit-sources with testing, i.e., replace with the line below, and then install Freedombox, I will be running the newest release 20.7?

I.e., if I follow the following steps will I end up with the unstable (testing) version of Freedobox installed on my Debian system (Raspberry Pi 3B - Rasbian/Buster)?:

1. edit the source list:

sudo apt edit-sources

1. replace existing line with:

deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi

1. exit and save: Ctrl + x, y and then Enter

2. add the repo keys:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 04EE7237B7D453EC
     sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 648ACFD622F3D138

3. Update the system:

sudo apt update

1. and install Freedombox:

sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install freedombox

Raspbian is not the same as Debian, and unstable is not the same as testing.

You will end up installing whatever version is in Raspbian’s testing repository. I haven’t tested this.

It may be useful to document what works or doesn’t work, in case other Raspbian users have the same question.

1 Like

Thanks. I found a reply, below, that you gave in another thread and if I understand correctly, unstable will turn up in testing pretty soon and then stable eventually. Is that the basic progression?

I’m interested because the changes above mention improvements to matrixsynapse (Fix initial installation and upgrade from backports) and I have been having trouble connecting with Riot clients outside my local network and hope this might resolve this issue!

freedombox 19.11 will be uploaded tomorrow to experimental only (for now).
freedombox 19.2 to become available in testing (very soon).
freedombox 19.2 will be uploaded to backports.
freedombox 19.11 will be uploaded to unstable.
freedombox 19.11 to become available in testing 2 days after that.
freedombox 19.11 may be uploaded to backports based on confidence.

Last two steps will repeat every 3 weeks for each release.

Yes, the basic flow is unstable -> testing -> stable-backports. It usually takes only a few days to get to backports.

The version in stable will not change until the next Debian release, sometime in 2021: https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html

3 Likes