About this Contributor Invite:
- Task Area: Localization
- Effort rating: 3/5
- Skills required: Proficiency in written English, proficiency in the written form of the language you are translating to, should be a FreedomBox user
Description of the Problem:
The FreedomBox user interface is written in English, but it has been translated into many other languages using the free and open source translation platform Weblate. Currently, our community has over 20 languages listed on Weblate and aims to translate the FreedomBox interface into all of those languages. Several of those languages have seen significant progress, like Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, and Hindi. Other languages, like Gujarati, Japanese, Tamil, and Ukrainian need more work.
In short, the problem is that FreedomBox hasn’t been 100% translated into all of our target languages. And even when FreedomBox is 100% translated into a given language, the software interface is updated so frequently that our translations often fall behind. Even if a language has been translated 100%, it still requires regular attention.
What we ask of you:
- Go to the FreedomBox interface’s page on Weblate (the UI is codenamed “plinth”) and register an account
- Find the language which you can translate in the list of languages and click “translate”
- If you want to translate FreedomBox into a language but don’t see the language listed on Weblate, scroll to the bottom and click the “Start New Translation” button
- Begin translating!
The Weblate page for FreedomBox is here: https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/freedombox/plinth/
How to claim this Contributor Invite:
Do you want to accept this invitation to contribute? If so, follow these steps:
- Comment on this forum post indicating that you would like to claim the invite. Though it is okay for multiple people to work on the same language at the same time, we want you to let our community know that you’re going to contribute so we can be on the lookout in case you need help.
- Register an account with our Weblate and begin making your contributions.
- You can use the comment section of this forum post to ask questions.
There are many resources online that can teach you how to use Weblate. Learn about Weblate’s features here: https://weblate.org/en/features/
And try out Weblate’s live demo here: https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/sandbox/
If you need help with this issue, please feel free to ask for it from members of our core team: